How to lay .....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning

Been given a load of Floor Tiles ....Believe they use to be laid in a Victorian Terrace straight onto ash

Any instructions to lay please ?
I was going to make a small area to put the bins on in the garden

Attachments

• DSC_0471.JPG
    DSC_0471.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 96
Sponsored Links
How thick are they? if they are the larger 9'' square ones that are 35mm ish thick then you could bet them direct onto a mortar bedding, 50mm of 6:1 grit sand to cement.

If they are the smaller ones or thin 15-20mm type you would need to lay a concrete base first and then lay them with a tile adhesive.

Be careful too as some of them are non porous which makes them very slippy when used outdoors.

Thats the ones 9 inch..So I can just lay a bed of mortar as you describe and fill the joints with the same mortar mix..Do i need to lay some hard core or
lay on the soil...Thanks for your help bit of a novice on building spent 37 years climbing radio masts...

In a perfect world you would lay a compacted hardcore subbase of 75-100mm.

If its only for bins, Dig off 4 inches and throw down a barrow of gravel and ram it in with a sledge or heavy post. Then lay on 50mm of 6:1 grit/sharp sand - cement.

Then point it with 3.5: 1 plastering sand : Cement. You cant use the same mixx for bedding and pointing.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Mate ..Great advise.. Thats me sorted ..Ill deal after Xmas as been made redundant so give me something to do...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back