How to level concrete by 4mm around stubborn old tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have old tiles on my concrete which can't be scraped up, a lifter would sooner dig up the concrete.

On the wood floor abutting this the previous owner has put hardboard underneath the laminate finish to get a level finish. This has since degraded/rotted.

The perimeter of concrete was not levelled because it was never tiled. I need about 4 - 5 mm build up there. This area is roughly 2 foot by 15 foot.

I guess plywood would be best for wood but for the concrete I expect I would need to be very sure I achieve a minimum of 4mm if using a cheapo sand-cement for it to retain its strength.

Are there any tips you can give me for mixing my own thin-set concrete here?

Sponsored Links
Thing is 4mm of concrete will not bond to surface and over time crack and shale off.
I would suggest self-levelling but some self-levelling does not like to be left exposed and would need to be treated. Also you will need to find one that can deal with 4mm depths.

Thankyou PrenticeBoy.

I will be covering it so finish is not that crucial. I would like to put down 25mm of Celotex followed by 2x9mm OSB.

Also, when I said concrete I rather meant a cement-sand mix. I've seen this referred to as screed and dry mix both here and in Barry's Vol1. More importantly, I believe 4mm will be adequate with covering. As you say, over time it would crack, but I have a similar repair made in my yard that has held fast for years, although I was probably quite liberal in my addition of cement to that mix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back