How to make a Halogen lamp???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, brand new to this forum. I haven't tried any form of electricals since i was about 10 when i made buzzers and little lamps.

I was thinking of making a lamp that uses a 35W halogen bulb, maybe even with a dimmer switch. I spent a while trawling the web for any help. but couldn't really find anything. The lamp does have to be halogen because I want the lamp to be used as a wax burner as a present for my girlfriend, and it's the most suitable bulb for this i think as it gets nice and hot.

What i basically need to know is:

1. Is this project possible on a £10/£15 budget?
2. what sort of equipment will i need?
3. Any alternatives?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I hope you are joking. If you are not joking then

DO NOT ATTEMPT IT

The temperature of a halogen lamp will ignite many waxes.

The wax will chemically affect the quartz of the lamp causing it to weaken and shatter, or it will alter the quartz structure and make it permeable for gas which often then results in the lamp capsule exploding.

An alternative is to buy a temperature controlled soldering iron and fit the bowl of a stainless steel spoon to the tip by some mechanical method. Do not alter the tip in any way as in some iron there are parts in the tip that are involved in controlling the temperature. Maplins sell soldering irons that could be used for your purpose. ( Other suppliers exist )

Also buy some first aid burn dressings and maybe a fire extinguisher.

She is your girl friend...... Spend the money.....

But do note the cautions

NOTICE: Let the lamp cool before adding more oil or wax to the small glass cup.
DO NOT LEAVE THE LAMP UNATTENDED TO AVOID FIRE HAZARD

Sponsored Links
I cannot buy that particular lamp as it's in the US.
But I do normally spend the money on her but we both agreed to make presents this time. So should I just make something else you think? Just I knew she wanted an electric tart burner so I knew that would be a hit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back