How to make an F30 door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I listed my spare room on Air BNB and enjoyed a few weekends with paying guests. However toward the end of the summer, new fire regulations were introduced with more stringent fire regulations. For me to comply, I need to change the door on my spare room to an F30 Fire Door. The current door is a hollow panel door and measures 180x60x 3cm. The bedroom was an addition to the house by a previous owner and is a large room under the eaves of the roof - hence the door being smaller than standard size. The internal walls are partition, stud walls I believe. I understand that if I can find a solid door I can paint it with an intumescent coating paint which is fire resistant. This is the only door which needs to be changed to comply with the regulations. My query is - how can I strengthen the door frame - particularly the hinged side - to allow for the additional weight of a solid door?

Sponsored Links
You could just buy an FD30 blank and cut it down to size

But you will need a compliant frame, big enough stops and intumescent seals

A home-made door will not be certified compliant.

You should be able to get one as a special order. I've never looked for one so small.

Here is one 2040 x 626

Not sure if those ones are trimmable

Sponsored Links
Here's an example. Choose FD30. Fill in the "non standard size" if none of the standards will do. They have 610mm x 1981 listed. I can't find the page that says how much you are allowed to trim.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the products called fire door blanks can be trimmed to any size and still comply

My understanding is that the products called fire door blanks can be trimmed to any size and still comply

If that's correct, it would be ideal.

I can't keep up with fire regulations so I would want official approval of the complete doorset and partition installation.

Thanks for your replies. Sadly it begins to look as though the fire regulations will be too expensive for me to comply. The house was extended by the previous owner who was the Fire Chief in this area for very many years and I'd guess the fire risks were greater then. The new safety regulations are severe and have forced many small b&b's out of business and as I live in a tourist area, there's a lot of competition.............so probably not worth it! Thanks anyway.

Thanks for the link.

Todd Doors aren't far from where I live.

The following is a bit weird though

Part of small offering of external garage doors and gates

I have emailed them, hopefully they can provide more clarity for people in similar situations- and I am guessing that many people need non-standard FD30 doors.

Many fire door blanks can be cut down to suit a non standard sized opening, the door will need to be lipped with a hardwood bead on any cut edges, it will likely tell you what is required in the specifications or data sheet.

Many fire door blanks can be cut down to suit a non standard sized opening, the door will need to be lipped with a hardwood bead on any cut edges, it will likely tell you what is required in the specifications or data sheet.

The door blanks sold by Todd doors seems to solid timber. Why would a hardwood edging be required?

When they say solid, they mean a chipboard core, if you scroll down, you will see they describe the door as being made from manmade timber.

When they say solid, they mean a chipboard core, if you scroll down, you will see they describe the door as being made from manmade timber.

Are we looking at a different product? The link says

• A simple solid timber core blank which is FD30 fire-rated.
It doesn't say that it is chipboard.

I guess we need Todd Doors to reply directly, or via me.

1.jpg

2.jpg

You can't adapt a fire door or a blank or adapt a frame or lining unless you are working to the explicit guidance provided by the fire door manufacturer. Otherwise, it's not a fire door set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back