How to measure Hot Water Head

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: so how did you measure the pressure :LOL: :LOL:

Well surprise surprise, despite clearly seeing the results, you still seem unable to accept you're wrong. Now, what was it you were saying earlier about ignorance...?

Also, if you'd bothered to read my post, you might have seen this:

As you can see, this time, the flow rate (and hence, dynamic pressure, by assumption) are significantly lower!

Unless you're now trying to tell me that an observed difference in flow rate, with the same length of pipe, same fluid and density, temperature, and altitude, does not also mean that there must also be a difference in pressure?

Go and ask someone else sparky, clearly you're on a wind up. :rolleyes: or as thick as two short planks.

Go and ask someone else sparky, clearly you're on a wind up. :rolleyes: or as thick as two short planks.

I'll take you up on that offer, as clearly you would preach black is white to the ends of the earth if it meant you wouldn't have to admit you were wrong. You sir, are clearly an ignoramus of the highest order, interested only in his own opinions and not willing to listen to those of anyone else.

At the risk of being labelled a hypocrite, it's clear why so many threads like this on the Plumbing forum end up being locked when all you can up with is tit-for-tat insults and mud slinging rather than focussing on logical discussion, backed up by relevant theory and investigation.

Still, no doubt you will want to have the last word, and you're welcome to it, as I wont be posting any further replies to this topic unless you actually want to entertain some serious discussion and are prepared to accept the opinions of others.

If your intent has been to wind me up all along by obfuscation, then clearly you have done a good job of that. However, exactly why you would waste both mine and your time by doing so on a public forum, is beyond me. If that is your idea of amusement then you clearly have a very warped sense of humor.

Sponsored Links
When you start doing proper tests, and not doctored or flawed test then I will listen.

Get a gauge and measure the pressure at the bottom and top of the cylinder for starters, and then tell me I'm wrong.

Another brain tester for you sparky.

5 story house, 2m each floor and a cylinder in the basement.

Pressure on the ground floor is 1bar and I get 30 L/min.

I run a pipe from the cylinder to each floor so it goes.

1st floor 0.8bar and 25 L/min.
2nd floor 0.6bar and 20 L/min.
3rd floor 0.4bar and 15 L/min.
4th floor 0.2bar and 10 L/min.

It is physically impossible, to get any more water out of the pipe on each floor without adding a pump.

Connect a pipe to the 4th floor shower, and pipe it up to a shower rose on the ground floor, what do you imagine the flow rate would be.

Well my 50m garden hose delivers 5.1 liters/min on the kitchen floor and 4.4L draped over a ladder at the loft hatch about 350mm from the base of the loft tank with the outlet remaining in the kitchen.
Where the pipe was over the ladder , the pipe was kinked somewhat and I would think this caused at least some of the drop in flow.
:D

Well my 50m garden hose delivers 5.1 liters/min on the kitchen floor and 4.4L draped over a ladder at the loft hatch about 350mm from the base of the loft tank with the outlet remaining in the kitchen.
Where the pipe was over the ladder , the pipe was kinked somewhat and I would think this caused at least some of the drop in flow.

And how many L/min did you get on the first floor.

I must say, I'm delighted with the way this thread has turned out. I don't understand the half of it but it's exremely entertaining...

So you are say the cylinder is below the loft, and the hot pipe from the cylinder goes into the loft and drops down to the shower. ?

If that is the case then the head will be from the storage tank to the pipe.
Aye, it's a one-level house, the HW cylinder is in the airing cupboard. The pipes from it disappear into the loft (where resides the CW tank) and it's in the loft that my builder has connected new pipes which run along the rafters before dropping down to the new Trevi (and basin, WC).

How are you measuring my head - from top, bottom or middle of the storage tank?

And, just to be sure (I'm neither a plumber or a sparky), what 'storage tank' did you mean - hot or cold?

Many thanks.

Another brain tester for you sparky.

5 story house, 2m each floor and a cylinder in the basement.

Pressure on the ground floor is 1bar and I get 30 L/min.

I run a pipe from the cylinder to each floor so it goes.

1st floor 0.8bar and 25 L/min.
2nd floor 0.6bar and 20 L/min.
3rd floor 0.4bar and 15 L/min.
4th floor 0.2bar and 10 L/min.

It is physically impossible, to get any more water out of the pipe on each floor without adding a pump.

Connect a pipe to the 4th floor shower, and pipe it up to a shower rose on the ground floor, what do you imagine the flow rate would be.
I'm called matthew and A qualified sparky (though don't work as one) so I'll go for an answer
in a word sh*t
but prob around 10l/m or less
matt

And how many L/min did you get on the first floor.

I didn't try it there at all as it didn't seem relevant. (No doubt you will deem it relevant)
The high loop in the pipe was what I wanted to create with the outlet remaining on the ground to see how much drop in flow would occur.
The high loop was elevated about 15 feet from ground floor level.
The drop in flowrate was 0.7L.

My builder connected the new pipework in the loft space i.e. there's nothing new to be seen by looking at the hot tank, it's all up above. The cold tank is in the loft as you'd expect - almost, but not quite, above the hot tank. The new pipes run along the rafters and then down to the Trevi. The hot tank temperature is set at 60c, hot enough for the house.
OP this is your problem, taking the hot feed from the loft means there will be very little head or pressure you can always do as doitall as said and increase pipe size or reroute piping or you could also raise the height of the CWS tank if possible

matt

Of course it's relevant Norcon or I wouldn't have asked.

Just take the hose up to the height of outlet of the cylinder, and tell me how many L/min you get.

It should be the same as downstairs :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back