Is this feasible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Trevi Boost installed. Clearly it replaced an electric shower unit since the power cable for an old electric shower is dangling loose in the cupboard backing onto the bathroom.

Unfortunately our hot water temperature and pressure aren't high enough, and mains not reliable enough, for the venturi thing to give a decent shower.

Given that the trevi boost takes a mains cold feed, does it seem feasible to pull out the trevi mixer unit, cap off the hot water inlet, then divert the mains cold out into an electric unit. Does this sound like a big job? It's definitely not one I'd take on myself, it's just since the 2 'ins' are there (electricity and cold mains) I figured it would be quite straightforward for a plumber.

I'm puzzled since I had two in and neither suggested it.

Sponsored Links
It might be worth checking that the fuse board end of the cable still has somewhere to go - a dedicated circuit. It may now be in use for another circuit.

Apart from that, in principle it's not a bit job to repalce your current unit with a electric one but you have stated that your mains pressure is unreliable - you are not going to get a better result with a poor mains pressure electric shower than sticking with a venturi h/c system that you currently have.

To be honest the flow rate from most electric showers is so poor that I would alsways prefer a decent thermo mixer either tank fed or venturi

It's also worth remembering that the electrical bit may require part P certification to bring it back into use (you could argue that it is a replacement - but reconnection at the distribution board falls under regs)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back