water pressure query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are installing a new shower, previously we had a hydrofo vs2 shower and on research a trevi boost shower is an equivalent using the venturi system. Can anyone advise on how I tell what the water pressure is, as from what I have read about the trevi boost shower it needs to work between a certain pressure, or would it work as we had the hydroflo vs2 shower previously, and they work in the same way.
We have a gravity fed system working from a cold tank in the loft and hot water tank in the bathroom. The shower is on the 1st floor the same as the hot water tank, and the cold tank in the loft above.
The shower worked really well when we had the hydroflo vs2 in place.
Any advise would help, as to me ordering the trevi boost.
Many thanks
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Measure mains (cold) pressure with a pressure gauge - usually comes with a 3/4" female BSP connector you can put onto a washing machine valve or garden tap thread.

The pressure from the hot water header tank can be estimated by measuring the height between the shower head and the top of the water level in the tank. Divide the height in metres by 10 to get a measurement in bar. I am assuming you have adequate (22mm) pipework that will enable this pressure to be maintained whilst water is flowing.

thanks for advice, the shower and hot water tank, are at the same height, just approx 10 feet apart accross the house.
This same set up worked well before, I was just concerned as the trevi boost shower said it needed a certain pressure rating to work at best, and I didn;t know if this would be the same as the hydrflo vs2 we had previously
thanks

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify, it's the height of the COLD storage tank feeding the hot cylinder that controls the hot water pressure. the position of the hot cylinder itself is usually immaterial, unless taken to extremes.

I usually use the distance from the base of the tank. It gives a more pessimistic answer, but you can't always guarantee the storage tank will remain full all the time, and it allows a bit for friction losses etc in the pipework reducing the dynamic pressure.

A typical measurement from the base of the cold storage tank to shower valve in the room below is about 1 - 2 Metres, giving about 0.1 - 0.2 Bar water pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back