How to measure the physical length of a circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody out there know how you can measure the actual length of a domestic light / power circuit without physically looking? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
As long as you know the where the very end of the circuit is, this can be done from the resistance as well, and also what size the conductors are you could equate the length from the resistance of the cables and comparing it with the OSG tables of resistance for cables.

could I use resistance many more times in one sentence, I think not ha ha

I suppose you could blindfold yourself, and grope your way from one end to another with a tape measure.....

But seriously - think about what you're asking:

"Does anybody out there know how you can measure the actual length of a domestic light / power circuit without physically looking?"

How could there be?

As long as you know the where the very end of the circuit is, this can be done from the resistance as well, and also what size the conductors are you could equate the length from the resistance of the cables and comparing it with the OSG tables of resistance for cables.
He wants to measure the actual length, not the resistance. The last time I looked lengths were measured in units such as mm, inches, yards etc, not ohms.

Sponsored Links
but you can equate the length from the resistance as the OSG gives you resistance readings per meter.

little bit of sums and you have your length :eek:)

But that's not what he asked.

That's measuring another property, and using that to estimate the length.

He asked how to measure the length, not estimate or calculate it.

Measuring length by measuring the resistance per metre seems like a possible idea, but would it work it the ring main for instance has been previously extended so that it now looks like a figure of eight? Does that make sense?

All I want to try an do if see if an existing ring main is within limits. I realise I cannot actually measure it but a way to estimate is what I am looking for. Pulling out the entire ring main is not really a viable option!!!

Measuring length by measuring the resistance per metre seems like a possible idea,
Calculating the approximate length would be....

but would it work it the ring main for instance has been previously extended so that it now looks like a figure of eight?
No.

All I want to try an do if see if an existing ring main is within limits. I realise I cannot actually measure it
Well - that's progress...

but a way to estimate is what I am looking for.
The usual tests for continuity will get you the figures you need.

Pulling out the entire ring main is not really a viable option!!!
Indeed not...

you can get a tester that`ll tell you ( to the nearest meter?) but I dont know what there called or where from LOL

He could measure the wavelength at each end and the difference will give him the shift and distance. ;) or is that not accurate enough BAS?

you can get a tester that`ll tell you ( to the nearest meter?) but I dont know what there called or where from LOL

Not particulaly relevant to the OP, but:

Its called a TDR ; best way to visualise it is like sonar, a signal is sent from one end of the cable, and it'll propogate along the cable at a speed that varies a little with the type of cable, for a cable with anything but a matching termination resister* though (open end or short), reflections of the signal will bounce back in the other direction, if you know the speed of propogation in the cable type and know how long the signal took, then you can work out the length to an open circuit or fault... I don't fully understand how it all works, but thats the laymans view :)

*remember those green terminator things you used to find on the ends of 10base2 networks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back