How to move your pc without unplugging it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just ran across a link for this and thought it might amuse...

video here

Anyone care to count how many regs you can break all at once? :LOL:

although this is a US company, they do sell a UK version :eek:

Sponsored Links
FFS :mad:

I just loved to see him using an uninsulated screwdriver (of the wrong size) and holding the shaft with his fingers

Sponsored Links
:eek:
Also, Red for Neutral and Black for Live???
I'll have to remember that when I'm in the USA!

Isn't it normally the plumber come to fix the pipe in those films? (so I'm told!)

about time our industry had more 'exposure'

ok, its late, so you have to excuse that :p

Seems beliveable to me, initially developed for forensic use etc, but possibly usful for moving servers around, etc

Pretty easy if the computer is plugged into a multi-gang lead, can be backfeed via another socket on it, but if directly on the mains, you can either pull the plug halfway out and croc clip on (which doesn't work in the UK with shrouded pins), split the sheath and use insulation piercing clips, or if plugged into a double outlet, unscrew that, and take that as well :LOL: (which also wouldn't work in the UK, though they don't actually say it, because you can't get at the screws with plugs inserted)

As to the colours, both red and black are 'hot' and in a domestic installation will be 110v above ground/neutral (its split phase), neutral is white, I assume the clips are more commonly used on DC applications and thus coloured black/red, they used black for 'hot' becuase 110v circuits are black and white (red only comes into play when both phases are taken to a stove, airconditioner or clothes drier etc)

(you might also want to worry about polish sparks, eastern europe colours had red as cpc... black was phase and neutral was grey!)

Yes, if it were me, I'd be using a VDE insulated screwdriver, we do run at twice the voltage though, 110v isn't quite as nasty as 240v, even though its still quite nasty!

(going by the look of stateside outside xmas lights, they have a slightly different take on electricial safety on a few things than use brits!)

Why on earth would you want to keep a PC powered up if you were siezing it?? Also he didnt mention the plug would be live when he installed them things into the cable and unplugged it :p

am i missing something? what does the black box actually do, other than come complete with a couple of potentially-lethal leads?

or if plugged into a double outlet, unscrew that, and take that as well :LOL: (which also wouldn't work in the UK, though they don't actually say it, because you can't get at the screws with plugs inserted)

I noticed that Adam - so if you are a nefarious do badder with something to hide, today's lesson is, live in the UK and run your computer from a socket, not a power strip! :D

The 'problem' this was designed to solve is where someone has full disk encryption on a pc, such that without a password on startup you cannot gain access to the files.

The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 made it an offence to withhold your password if required to hand it over in the UK anyway, although there are other methods that can be used that mean it is often useful to access a still running pc and search it in controlled conditions.

If it did happen here, I would check the person doing it was a registered competent person and ask for a certificate :LOL:

The insulation removing method would still work though!

If you were upto no good, what you'd want is a movement switch, either with NO contacts that close across the computers reset switch, or NC contacts that open to disconnect the power_good signal pin on the motherboard power connector ;)

Why on earth would you want to keep a PC powered up if you were siezing it?? Also he didnt mention the plug would be live when he installed them things into the cable and unplugged it
Because it was shut down, you might need a password to get into whatever was already open before, and there are warnings on other parts of that site to that effect, its something thats effcetivly for the use of 'competant persons' only...

Why on earth would you want to keep a PC powered up if you were siezing it?? Also he didnt mention the plug would be live when he installed them things into the cable and unplugged it

Makes sure the mains power cannot backfeed into the UPS's inverter, which wouldn't be clever if they weren't properly synced.... actually if you have one of those cheaper kinds of UPS, the ones that feed the outputs from the mains during normal operation, and use contactors to swap over when power fails (offline ups), you'd probably be able to do it without any boxes of magic tricks....[/quote]

The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 made it an offence to withhold your password if required to hand it over in the UK anyway
Oh well - so given that the penalties for being found guilty of contravening the RIP act are so much higher than those for being found guilty of murder, or terrorism, or espionage, or drug trafficking, or child sex etc, then the police or security services here will never need to investigate seized computer equipment for which the owner fails to hand over the password, will they...

Let's step back and think about this for a second. Yes, the makers of this are touting it beyond it's original market through a combination of ignorance and the desire to make a buck.

But think on about it's original target market, i.e. the taking of PCs from people who will happily use automatic weapons to stop you. Even without "special training", which would you rather do - snip a live conductor with a pair of VDE cutters, or storm a building occupied by crazies holding MAC10s?

It's all relative - this product is not aimed at corporate IT help desks....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back