How to open filing cabinet?

L

longdogs

Hi

I moved my metal filing cabinet the other day for decorating and locked it to prevent the drawers moving out. Now I can't open it. The lock doesn't seem to turn quite enough. There's a small peep hole in either side of the cabinet at the top. Does any one know if these are for access to open it manually? That's what I've always thought they were for anyway, but can't see how to do it.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
crowbar.jpg

Sponsored Links
Spray some WD40 first then use the key again, some cabinet have a metal bar runs on the whole length which locks all the drawers at once and have a look underneath as you may be able to release it, might need a screwdriver to push the bar

Thanks guys

I tried a combination of all of the above (apart from asking a *****) and managed to open it

Cheers!
:D :D :D :D :D

Usual reason for locks not operating is dryness, especially if in a warm office/study.
You should never use liquid/greasy lubricant on locks as it attracts dust/grit and can damage/jam them. Best way to 'lubricate' a lock is to rub a pencil over the key surfaces, leaving a thin coating of graphite, and then insert and withdraw the key a few times before attempting to unlock it. Another method is to rub a pencil lead on glasspaper and then gently 'blow' the dust into the lock. Best to blow through a drinking straw as it gives greater accuracy to penetrate the lock and then insert/withdraw the key as previously.

PS. You can rub a pencil up and down a sticky metal zip to free it.

What do you think caused it not to open? :rolleyes:

I've had it for about 10 years but have never locked it before, so I guess as suggested the lock must of been dry. Probably combined with a file getting caught uo somewhere. I still don't know what the small holes are for though in the sides

Sponsored Links
Back