how to open this "end piece" on pvc pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

please bear with me while i try to explain this.

i have a small pond in back garden (done by previous owner) and i need to clean it occassionally.

For big cleans i need to drain the filter buckets and there is a plastic pipe which is capped at the end. I need to open this pipe and let water drain to earth.

The problem i have is i simply cant open this "end piece" (sorry dont know what its called. It is quite a way down so not very easy access. and the face is pointing downwards which makes it even more difficult. I have taken a picture of the pipe "end piece".

Previous owner must have been used to this so he was using a chisel like tool to perhaps put it in the slots visible on photo and open. i have tried to do similar but of course without success.

Is there a special tool which i need to open this?

ta View media item 62676

Sponsored Links
You should be able to just twist it off, it's more likely only the rubber seal holding it tight.
Why don't you change it for a ball/gate valve ? I use them on all pipework makes life alot easier when draining.

You should really be draining it to a drain, Draining it into the ground it will stink after a while.

You should be able to just twist it off, it's more likely only the rubber seal holding it tight.
Why don't you change it for a ball/gate valve ? I use them on all pipework makes life alot easier when draining.

You should really be draining it to a drain, Draining it into the ground it will stink after a while.

I fully acknowledge the point regarding draining to drain. But at the moment it will cost me a lot so not too keen on it. I never empty the entire pond.

I would definately change it to ball/gate valve if i can get it to open!

Sponsored Links
Anti clockwise as you look at the picture as above a strap wrench, you can buy domestic ones for opening jars etc for a few quid.

Unless someones solvent welded it. :rolleyes:

A piece of flat steel bar - with some coarse emery cloth wrapped round it :idea: ( or glasspaper )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back