How to paint over this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New to the forum and DIY in general, just bought my first house which needs a little bit of work but not much, and am looking forward to getting stuck in.

Starting with this: the previous owner plastered cork tiles onto the bathroom wall and also another wall in the hall, I've managed to remove the tiles but it has left this mess. I'm wondering what will need done to it so that the walls it can be repainted? Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 145
Sponsored Links
I would try a steamer and scraper, maybe clean any residue left with white spirit.

with care a hot air gun and scraper could be used,had similar in a previous house.
Even after getting all the glue off a lot of sanding and 3 coats of emulsion,the previously glued area grinned through the emulsion so used zin 123 stain cover,2 coats sanded down to get a perfect final emulsion finish.

good luck.

Thanks for the replies. I went for the steamer/scraper combination, unfortunately taking off some of the top layer of the plasterboard in the process. It's still a huge mess, not really sure what to do with it!

Attachments

• IMG_5959.JPG
    IMG_5959.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
Nasty surprise to find unskimmed plasterboard in a bathroom, simplist solution is a plain rectangular or square mirror.

Got unskimmed plasterboard walls in my place,there ok ish until they need repair ;).
Maybe a very light sand down,fill holes/damage,sand keep doing that till its fairly flat,seal, sand emulsion build up coats of emulsion but it will grin through when the wall is fully painted.

To get a perfect finish that wall could be skimmed or as footprints ^ said disguise it with something.maybe a made to measure mirror or a cabinet.Tiles.

The hot air gun would have just melted/soften the snots (glue) so you could pick it off,done that before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back