How to prove commencement of works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had planning permission granted for an extension just under three years ago. It expires in June 2010. My contractor will not be able to commence main works prior to this date, but is there anything I can do to demonstrate that work has commenced prior to expiry of the permission so I dont have to re-apply? If so, what is the process? I have heard stories of "lifting a paving slab" consitututing start of works. Do I need to tell the planning authority. How do I prove I've started? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
My understanding was you had to start substantial works such as digging foundations or similar.

Why don't you just start digging the foundations and notify the Building Inspector that you have started on site. That should do it as it will be officially recorded at the local council.

There's no statutory guide. Digging part of a foundation or putting in a drain will be safe. There is folklore about pegging out constituting a start but I wouldn't recommend relying on that. Lifting a paving stone sounds equally dodgy to me.

Sponsored Links
It often falls to your planning authority to judge- probably more of an issue if its a contentious development and the neighbours are hoping you'll miss the deadline.

Had a similar situation with mine falling to the last day (midnight of the last day in fact according to my planning officer).

I demolished part of a wall and emailed photographs to the planning officer with a read and delivery receipt request (both received in good time). Seemed to satisfy them. Neighbours curtains were and have been twitching since.

There is no legal definition of "commencement of works" in planning law so as long as you make a start of some sort, then if you do run into trouble, you can always appeal on that basis.

One problem you "might" have is that for Building Control to come out, inspect and officially note the works have started on site, is normally when you are invoiced for the inspection fee's (if going down the Full Plans route), which would mean you'd need to submit a Building Regulation application. Or you do it on a Building Notice, pay all the fee's upfront and then call an inspector out.

It depends how stringent your local BC department are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back