How to put right a badly done job of self-levelling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know I'm probably going to be shot down with comments of how I should have got a contractor in to do it, but I've made a proper mess of self-levelling half of my kitchen floor.

It's not something I've ever done before so I really wasn't happy about doing it in the first place, but my brother in law is a builder and he insisted it's "dead easy man!" and my wife wanted to save the money so she wanted me to do it.

My b-i-l came around and did half of the floor for me to show me how to do it. Once that had dried, we moved everything back onto that side of the room and I did the other half. It looked perfect when it was wet. I even felt pretty pleased with myself. So I locked everything up and went to bed.

Came down the next morning and felt like I was looking at a 3D model of the lake district. I was gutted.

Problem is, we're wanting to put a vinyl floor down so I need it to be as near to spot on as possible. We contacted a local floorer who quoted us to lay the floor but he said he didn't do floor preps or anything and gave me a grit block to sand it down with. I've sanded as much as I can without going back down to the original floor level but there's still patches where it's clearly not level and lower than the desired level.

My question is this: Is there some kind of contractor I can get in to finish prepping the floor so that it's suitable for a vinyl covering, and lay the vinyl sheet? What should I be looking at having done to fix it or does it just need to be taken back down to the floor and done again? (Properly, obviously...)

Appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back