How to put router somewhere else?

So for best WiFi performance the router needs to be in the centre of the house.

The white box with 2/3/4 flashing LEDs is the ONT (Optical Network Termination) - that cannot now be moved easily however the Router can be. Select where you want it to go close to a mains socket and run the CAT6 cable from the ONT to the Router, terminate plugs into the ends of the cable and plug into the presently used ports.

The ONT does not radiate RF, whilst the Router does.

The position of ONT, Router and external connecting box needs to be thought about before the installing chaps arrive.

any surplus CAT 6 cable can be used to connect to TV, PC or other equipment that doesn't move and needs to be web connected.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks so the ONT does not radiate anything? That's good!

Yes the installation chaps came yesterday and I hadn't thought it though about where to put the ONT etc and just said ahh where ever you like. So stuck it next to bedhead in bedroom. Not bothered about the ONT staying there really just want to move router to a more central position.
I've bought a Cat 6 ethernet cable 30 metres. House is currently getting a rewire and all floor boards are up so I asked the electrician while floorboards are all up can he run my ethernet cable into the hallway and drill a hole if needed? He said no problem.

So hoping it works?

Thanks
Now I have done this. Would you personally now pay £65 for openreach to move the master socket from bedroom to the same place as the router now is downstairs?

Sponsored Links
Thanks
Now I have done this. Would you personally now pay £65 for openreach to move the master socket from bedroom to the same place as the router now is downstairs?

No, there is absolutely no point, the router will work just as well with the ONT right next to it, as 100 metres away, via the CAT6.

Thanks that makes sense. I bought a 30 metre cat 6 ethernet cable as wanted to over estimate rather than under estimate the length I needed.
My Mrs said the same. Why pay £65 and all the drilling holes etc to relocate the ONT to be next to the router when it all works fine as it is now.

Thanks
Heck no..

..but then I wouldn't have bothered moving the router either; I'd have just slept with foil rollers in

Thanks that makes sense. I bought a 30 metre cat 6 ethernet cable as wanted to over estimate rather than under estimate the length I needed.
My Mrs said the same. Why pay £65 and all the drilling holes etc to relocate the ONT to be next to the router when it all works fine as it is now.

Now you just got the flashing lights on the ONT to live with at night!

Sponsored Links
Back