how to recognise different wallpaper types?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realise that there is a vast array of wallcoverings - but is there an obvious way of recognising vinyl papers. I understand that painting existing wallpaper with emulsion is not a preferred route ( obviously excluding anyglypta )but painting vinyl paper is definately not on. Basically, how do you know if it is vinyl or paper - assuming you do not have a label cos it has been already hung!

Sponsored Links
Unfortunatly it can take upto years of experience to recognise what type of wallcovering has been hung.

Anyway, best way to find out of an covering is an "flat" vinyl is by flicking some water on it. If the water does not sink in, then this will indicate it may be an "flat" vinyl.

However, with paper then the simple test above should allow water to eventually penetrate it.

NB When water makes direct conact with paper then it eventually dulls in colour. Though, a "flat" vinyl will not.

thanks third eye. I read over previous posts that you can -ish paint over vinyl paper with vinyl silk emulsion. This sounds a little risky to me! What are your thoughts on this. Presumably it may make a difference if the vinyl paper was flat or textured?

Textured Vinyls can be emulsioned over.

For some reason they are breathable but Non-Textured-Vinyls are not breathable.

Yes, you can emulsion over Non-Textured-Vinyls though it is not recomended. You can use Vinyl Soft Sheen or Vinyl Silk.

Me personally would strip, then line, then emulsion.

Though it is all down to cost and time etc.........

Sponsored Links
And if you run your nails over a solid linyl it will often makes a 'plasticky' sound

Thanks Z - really wish I did not have the disgusting habit of biting my nails. Good reason to stop!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back