How to rectify adding isolator on cooker hood

... Although, that extractor looks really low to me - the normal minimum height is specified in the hob manufacturers instructions, and is about 650mm for electric
I'm thinking of raising it up to 650mm despite the book saying minimum 550mm.
Do I need to raise the hood all the way to the ceiling fo aesthetics or any practical reason or doesn't matter you think?

Sponsored Links
Note that the word "minimum" does not mean you shouldn't put it higher.

For practical purposes, a hood should not be placed where you can bash it with your face while cooking.

No, there is no extraction fan in kitchen and no possible to put one as right outside the kitchen is a conservatory.

But you will need to do something. The requirements shown in the diagrams on page 9 of Part F of the Building Regulations show a minimum air extraction to outside of 30 litres a second is required for a cooker hood, or 60 litres a second for a remote extractor away from the cooker when the hood is of the recirculatory type. In addition, the 2021 regulations introduced a new stipulation that after any improvements such as extensions or renovations etc, that the ventilation is to be no worse than before the works began.... So, if the new conservatory has obstructed what previously was an opening window to the outside that's another issue..... If my understanding of your situation is correct, you won't get building regulations approval on the work.

Sponsored Links
That document is merely guidance when fans are used.
The document also states, among other things, that:

1683715241679.png

All the actual law of The Building Regulations states is:

1683714769763.png

Fans are not compulsory.

Indeed, that was my thinking. There doesn't seem to be any natural or mechanical ventilation at all, assuming as I said of course that I have understood the OP's situation correctly.

From my personal experience in the past, when it comes to ventilation, following the "guidance" seems to be the only way building control would sign things off. The extraction figures in the document were used to determine what was considered 'adequate'.

Yeah, and my definition of 'adequate' is different from the building inspectors. In one instance, I replaced an opening window in a utility room with a door. Because it was now a door and not designed to be left open for ventilation like a window is, I had to fit an extractor fan before he would sign it off. The irony is Mrs Stem, doesn't use the fan and leaves the door open. :rolleyes:

Yes, and it was being discussed recently how unnecessary bonding (actually unnecessary earthing) had to be installed to get a sign-off.

True but there is nothing we can do unless I demolish the brand new conservatory that cost over £4K for the extraction fan
I was just wondering, is this your bungalow?
At some future point, if you/your tennants do have problems with damp and mould, it would be a relatively simple job to take a duct up through the ceiling to a tile vent, or out through the soffits...

Sorry I wasn’t clear on the bungalow been new. There was already a brick structure with wooden doors and windows and a plastic roof.

I paid £4K to have a tile roof, plastered and brand new windows soffits and gutters. ( see photos )

At some point I want to change the roof so yes it would be great to have a roof vent tile so all the fumes go straight out. However I am not keen on having holes in the roof membrane for this kind of ducting. Also I have another rental with recirculating hood and never had any damp issues. The tenants never opened a window either and they were Africans so they were cooking constantly, every time I would go there there was a massive pot of something boiling.

Most of my tenants hardly cook, I had another bungalow near by and the oven looked unused after a full year! So not overly concerned about steam. They can always open the door and the steam Will go to the conservatory.

Attachments

• 4D99F7C8-4F8E-4A92-B2E5-C21C787645A1.jpeg
    4D99F7C8-4F8E-4A92-B2E5-C21C787645A1.jpeg
    395.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 9655087F-FAB0-4775-BD9B-0FB0A196EC98.jpeg
    9655087F-FAB0-4775-BD9B-0FB0A196EC98.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 44

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back