How to release air from the system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I had my septic tank empty and since it wasn't cleaned properly the guy who cleaned it told me to open the cold water tap in the house and that was open for quite a while . When he left there was no hot water in the taps (there was a very low pressure coming and going until it was totally stopped) Read some about it and I think I have air locked in the system.
We have a cylinder (hot water tank) in the ground floor and a cold water tank in the loft. We also have a water pump as the water flow is weak. I saw a small valve that I screw off next to the cylinder hot water exit and felt air coming out along with hot water when it open and the water pump also start working as hot water going through it when the valve is open but it seems like the air in the system is endless as I open it for so much time and it still air comes out. I also scared as i read it could be dangerous and can explode ?
When closing the valve for sometime and then open the hot tap the stream looks normal and strong but after few seconds gets weaker and stops again.
Can anyone help please

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Use a wet vac on the spout of the hot tap and suck the air/water out. Also check that your cold water tank in the loft has water in it and the float valve is working correctly.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I don't have this wet vac, can I use my mouth to suck the air out from the shower pipe? Or is it a mission impossible without the right tools?

Cheers

Ofer

Sponsored Links
Ha ha I also know few but, seriously I thought I can vacuum the air like you vacuum fuel out of a car tuel tank the old fashion Do you know other way rather than the wet vac or I'll have to call a pro? By the way, why does releasing air from that valve next to the out water pipe is not enough?

Thanks,

Ofer

What wet vac should I use? Does the engine should be in certain size or any would do? Industrial /domestic

Thanks

Thanks Andy,

And then I just need to attach it to one of the exits and run it? Would the shower exits pipe should do it? Or should it be attached to where the cylinder is? Do you think I can make it on my own or should I get a professional to do it? Is it complicated? Thanks

Its a wet vac, plug in, place hose under tap spout, turn on hot tap and turn on wet vac and suck.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Bought the wet vac you recommended. Open the hot water tap and hooked the vac to it, it started vacuuming hot water with air but, I do it now for almost 15 minutes (removing the hot water from the vac when it's stop vacuuming) but, the air seems to keep coming How long should it take? Is 15 minutes or more is normal? Should I keep going until I have proper flow or is something is wrong? Thanks

Check your cold water storage tank in the loft is full of water.

Removing an air lock from the tap should take approx. 30 seconds and not 15 minutes.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back