How to remove a 2 way wiring switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have upstairs and a downstairs hallway light. I want to remove the 2 gang 2 way switch from downstairs, just leaving the upstairs switch in place.

I know that sounds like a strange thing to do, but the switch upstairs is controlled via a Lightwave remote device so I want to get rid of the switch downstairs.

How do I do the wires?

There are 2 red wires, 2 blue and 2 yellow - plus the Earth.

First I tried disconnecting everything, but then the switch upstairs didn't work. So then I connected the two red (common) together, along with one blue and one yellow.

That seemed fine, and the light switch upstairs then worked. However I found that the fusebox wouldn't switch off the upstairs lights - which was worrying me that I have connected them up wrong.

How should I wire it?

Sponsored Links
I have upstairs and a downstairs hallway light. I want to remove the 2 gang 2 way switch from downstairs, just leaving the upstairs switch in place.
Do you mean you want to operate the downstairs light only from the upstairs switch, albeit a remote?

I know that sounds like a strange thing to do, but the switch upstairs is controlled via a Lightwave remote device so I want to get rid of the switch downstairs.
I would recommend you do not.

But there are two switches.
There is only a Red, Blue and Yellow to each switch

First I tried disconnecting everything, but then the switch upstairs didn't work. So then I connected the two red (common) together, along with one blue and one yellow.

That seemed fine, and the light switch upstairs then worked. However I found that the fusebox wouldn't switch off the upstairs lights - which was worrying me that I have connected them up wrong.
Which 'fusebox switch' did you open?

EFLImpudence";p="3319275 said:
But there are two switches.
There is only a Red, Blue and Yellow to each switch

And they are probably on two different circuits, upstairs lighting and downstairs lighting.
When you joined the two circuits together it is not surprising one circuit breaker did not control the lights.

What do you plan to do with the wires that go to the downstairs switch location?

What do you plan to do with the switch box itself?

You cannot plaster over the switch box and leave the live wires in the wall. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

There is a way to bypass the switch and remove it, but we need answers to the above questions first..

Sponsored Links
What do you plan to do with the wires that go to the downstairs switch location?

What do you plan to do with the switch box itself?

You cannot plaster over the switch box and leave the live wires in the wall. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

There is a way to bypass the switch and remove it, but we need answers to the above questions first..

Thanks for all the responses. I know it sounds strange to do, but the reason is that I don't like where the switch is situated, and I don't need it.

I was planning to leave the cables in place, and place a blank cover over the top. I wasn't going to plaster it as I'd like it to be easily accessible in future.

Yes I want to be able to still operate the downstairs hallway light from the upstairs switch. It's a 2 gang switch so it can operate upstairs and downstairs. I then also have a remote downstairs (that acts on the upstairs switch) so I don't need the existing 2 gang 2 way switch downstairs.

I don't know if I'm explaining it well? This article also shows what I want to do: http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-58

Problem is I don't know what to do with the existing wires.

Blank plate is fine. This is what you do.

Each circuit at that switch has a cable. Red, yellow and blue.

For each cable, using a bit of insulated terminal block, connect the red and yellow together in one terminal and put the blue on its own in another terminal.
Then do the same for the other cable.

Then the upstairs switch will do all the switching.

PS if the upstairs switch now operates "upside down" swop the blue and yellow wires over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back