HOW TO REMOVE A PUMA DIVERTER VALVE ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys. Having a bit of a problem replacing wax capsule diverter valves in Puma 80's..

Had a nightmare today as the grub screws on top were corrroded and stuck and couldnt disconnect from the back as its too tight for my grips.

Anyway removed full section from the front with force but on eventually getting it lined back up and connecting to the pump manifold the metal washer in the pump manifold split and now I need to replace this section also as its leaking badly.

Anyway whats the easiest way, Ive done a few and just chnged the capsule at the from but last few Ive broken my 3mm allen keys every time. spoke to a guy at potterton and he said to change the whole valve and get a 30 x 32mm offset spanner made by HEYCO.. anyone know where to get one or got other suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Bend down the angled sheet metal below the nut then use stillsons or a large adjustable spanner to loosen the nut, pig of a job I hate doing them.

corgigazza said:
Bend down the angled sheet metal below the nut then use stillsons or a large adjustable spanner to loosen the nut, pig of a job I hate doing them.

cheers mate.. may do this till I get my hands on a 30mm and 32mm offset ring spanner

take it youve had the same problems with the grub screws then !!!

Rothenberger pump pliars will grab the backnut,if after previous post comment to bend back ninety degree metal sheet.Also a liberal spray of w.d.40 on aforementioned backnut should make it easier.I used to work on a local authority contract with in excess of 1200 of these boilers installed.Real pain in the a**e.Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Mikeyboy said:
Rothenberger pump pliars will grab the backnut,if after previous post comment to bend back ninety degree metal sheet.Also a liberal spray of w.d.40 on aforementioned backnut should make it easier.I used to work on a local authority contract with in excess of 1200 of these boilers installed.Real pain in the a**e.Good luck.

my bahco's will be ok for gripping once I bend back the metal.. although i think for long term I'll get an offset spanner as the potterton guy mentioned, may save a little time..

Done a few of these already but was fortunate to get to the wax capsule and freed the grub screws on these but today was a nightmare unscreing the valve from the front. couldnt belive the hassle it caused. now I need to change the pump manifold also due to the metal ring cracking....

ps. loads on this contract im doing also and they are **** boilers !! if its not the DV its the PCB on these things !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back