how to remove damaged screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

See photos attached for what I am referring to here. When we moved into our new house there was one of these handgrip things outside the front door and another in the bathroom. I managed to remove the one in the bathroom, and I’m trying to remove the one at the front door. I have managed to remove all but two screws from it (they were VERY tight - probably tighter than they needed to be) and as you’ll see from the photos I am stuck with the final two. Top one I tried drilling out but that hasn’t been very successful. Bottom I got halfway out but the head on the screw is so mangled I can oh no further. I tried using a pair of locking pliers to twist it out but they won’t close tightly enough around the head.

I tried sawing it into sections to at least remove the bar but the only tool I had was a jigsaw which vibrated dangerously so I aborted quickly.

Any ideas? I want rid of the d@mn thing!

Attachments

• IMG_1604.jpeg
    IMG_1604.jpeg
    555.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1605.jpeg
    IMG_1605.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1603.jpeg
    IMG_1603.jpeg
    513.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1606.jpeg
    IMG_1606.jpeg
    641.1 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
Will the screws pull out of the wall if you lever them with a bar or claw hammer?
Do you have access to a multi tool to cut the screws off?
Do you have access to a grinder to grind the screw heads off?
Can you get vice grips onto the screw which is part way out and gradually unscrew it, then use the handgrip itself to lever out the one remaining screw?
Your drilling of the top screw seems to have removed a lot of the head, will the remainder pop off with a bit of levering?

Will the screws pull out of the wall if you lever them with a bar or claw hammer?
Do you have access to a multi tool to cut the screws off?
Do you have access to a grinder to grind the screw heads off?
Can you get vice grips onto the screw which is part way out and gradually unscrew it, then use the handgrip itself to lever out the one remaining screw?
Your drilling of the top screw seems to have removed a lot of the head, will the remainder pop off with a bit of levering?
Tried again with vice grips on bottom screw, it snapped as I turned it and I was able to snap off top one. So all sorted now.

The heads of the screws are still sticking out of the wall but I can probably go at those with a hacksaw.

Tried again with vice grips on bottom screw, it snapped as I turned it and I was able to snap off top one. So all sorted now.

The heads of the screws are still sticking out of the wall but I can probably go at those with a hacksaw.
Sometimes you can pull the remaining part of the screw out (complete with the rawlplug) using a claw hammer.

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone,

See photos attached for what I am referring to here. When we moved into our new house there was one of these handgrip things outside the front door and another in the bathroom. I managed to remove the one in the bathroom, and I’m trying to remove the one at the front door. I have managed to remove all but two screws from it (they were VERY tight - probably tighter than they needed to be) and as you’ll see from the photos I am stuck with the final two. Top one I tried drilling out but that hasn’t been very successful. Bottom I got halfway out but the head on the screw is so mangled I can oh no further. I tried using a pair of locking pliers to twist it out but they won’t close tightly enough around the head.

I tried sawing it into sections to at least remove the bar but the only tool I had was a jigsaw which vibrated dangerously so I aborted quickly.

Any ideas? I want rid of the d@mn thing!
A long pry bar will remove easily.

Sometimes you can pull the remaining part of the screw out (complete with the rawlplug) using a claw hammer.
Got the remains of top screw out by putting really tight vice grips around it then twisting it out. Bottom screw kept snapping when I did that and there’s not enough of it for a claw hammer to catch on. I’ll have to leave it where it is. Shouldn’t be too noticeable unless anyone actually goes looking for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back