How to remove oil from slate slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

On my back garden i have unsealed indain slate slabs for my patio area. Last night i split Teak Oil on them. How do i remove the oil stain without replacing the slabs?

Kind regards

Lee

Sponsored Links
I've removed old car oil from both cast concrete flags/slabs and some sort of natural stone using the method below but not specifically teak oil from slate.

Wipe off excess oil with dry cloths
Smear biological clothes washing liquid over remaining stain
Cover with a bowl or plastic sheet or similar and leave for 2 or 3 days
Method only works well if liquid is kept moist
If liquid dries out, spray gently with water to re-moisten but don't flood it
After 2 or 3 days, wipe away liquid and wash area with water (hose or brush). You won't need to scrub - the detergent has already done the job, you're simply washing away detergent residues.

Obviously, do this only when dry weather is forecast unless you can lift the slab and clean it under cover.

I've used this method many times on a driveway and it always works really well even on oil that's soaked in. Beware though that the treated patch may end up much cleaner (and therefore lighter in colour) than the surrounding area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back