How to remove old back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed a gas fire in my victorial house hoping to open up the original fireplace. Have discovered what must be an original back boiler (copper looking). Two pipes feed up the flue from the boiler. I know nothing about back bolier only that I want to take this one out! Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Might be directly connected to the dhw cylinder. There may be a drain off in the chimerny.

So you may need a new dhw cylinder or at least to cap off the pipes to the back boiler.

These would be usually be 1" imperial. That means you purchase 1" X 28mm endex fittings to convert to 28 before caping off, ot you spend half a day with emery paper.

if no drain drill a few holes in the back boiler and fire it into buckets.

then off down the scrap yard for your reward ;)

Sponsored Links
dan the man said:
if no drain drill a few holes in the back boiler and fire it into buckets.

I use a nail in the pipe leading to the boiler which doubles as a plug while you change buckets.

If its that old the water will probably have evaporated by now but you have to go through the motions just in case.

Sime10 doesnt really need your old boiler as much as I do. I could use it as a fairy on the top of my christmas scrapheap ;)

In fact film it and drill through with 25mm or above and let us watch.
just for chrimbo :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back