Very old Redfyre Back boiler - remove or ignore?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When removing the grotty gas fire in our 1930's semi, we've discovered a really old cast iron Redfyre back boiler. I think this is the original solid fuel backboiler that woud have been used when the house was built, rather than a more modern one, and it was not attached to the gas fire. Its decomissioned - we no longer have a water tank and have a new combi boiler, so it can no longer be connected to anything. We'd like to install a new open fire in the fireplace, but we're totally unsure what to do with this thing. Its pretty big, looks heavy and is well fastened into the fireplace. I'm worried if we try to remove it the whole chimney could collapase. So my question is, is it possible to simply ignore it and install a new open fire in front of it? Or will we have to have it taken out in order to install a fire?

Sponsored Links
The unit should be removed, and the walls made good inside the fireplace before usE. Beware the unit may still have residual sludge/magnetite in it so have a vax handy! :LOL:

Take it out in one piece & give it a good clean , will look :cool: as an ornament.

When removing the grotty gas fire in our 1930's semi, we've discovered a really old cast iron Redfyre back boiler. I think this is the original solid fuel backboiler that woud have been used when the house was built, rather than a more modern one, and it was not attached to the gas fire. Its decomissioned - we no longer have a water tank and have a new combi boiler, so it can no longer be connected to anything. We'd like to install a new open fire in the fireplace, but we're totally unsure what to do with this thing. Its pretty big, looks heavy and is well fastened into the fireplace. I'm worried if we try to remove it the whole chimney could collapase. So my question is, is it possible to simply ignore it and install a new open fire in front of it? Or will we have to have it taken out in order to install a fire?

Hi, Did you remove the boiler if so was it very diffecult

Sponsored Links
Don't know whether you have gone ahead with this, but if you have left the back boiler in situ it is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that you make sure the water jacket is properly vented to avoid the risk of an explosion

Take a look at this
http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2008/e08028.htm

Sorry to shout (and this is my first post!) but I've seen what can happen when it all goes wrong, twice now.

I have just removed a gas fire and discovered a redfyre R200 backboiler seemly very attached inside the chimney. I want to have an open fire, ideally something similar to what was in place in 1924 when the house as built, but not sure how to proceed. Should I pull away the relative;y modern mantlepiece and stone slabs that have been put up? The chimney breast is about 5' wide although the space for the fire itself is only about 14 inches wide... hoping there would be more space if i took it all out.. opinions please?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back