Old Redfyre Centrajet 18/28 problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, I have an old Redfyre centrajet 18/28 oil boiler ( we will replace soon but we need to keep it running for know). It has a D42 Selectos burner without solenoid. The problem is the burner motor keeps trying to start with the motor only running for about 3 seconds with the burner flame firing OK then the motor stops for about 3 seconds (burner flame ceases) and it keeps cycling around this for about 20 seconds until the red light on the control box comes on. I suspect a problem with the photocell. If I shine a flash lamp thru the blue gas into the burner area the motor stops and starts again when I remove the light and the 3 second on/off cycle continues. Can anyone help ? :(

Sponsored Links
This is Trianco's down firing floor standing boiler with a D42 Inter 10 burner (orange usually) if black it's an Inter 99

Possibilities

Photocell, as you say

BHO control box

Windings breaking down on the motor

Combustion chamber and flueways sooted up causing oxygen starvation and back pressure in turn causing the flame to die.

So

isolate the electricity to the boiler, undo the two nuts holding one of the baffle inspection plates on (either left or right of the flue) and inspect for soot. If sooted, get a pro in to clean it out and set up the burner again.

If there is no soot, replace the BHO control box AND photocell, if you don't have a remote acting firevalve fitted to the boiler - get one fitted for your own safety

You should be trained to OFTEC standards (minimum) and be familiar with the equipment if you decide to work on it.

I might do it for you if you are close but I aint cheap. OFTEC reg and 28 years experience. Good luck

The OP did say it was a D42 Selectos, which is not an orange Inter.
As Trevor says, there are several possibilities. You need a box of bits to swap, otherwise it will cost you a fortune to try everything until you find the fault.

Now, a poser, is Sheffield close to Shropshire?

Regrettably OFTEC standards don't mean a lot. I went last week to report on a situation where an oftec registered guy said an appliance was safe to use. I didn't go any further after I found four reasons why it shouldn't be used. This was not just a not good situation, it was a positively unsafe one.

I am not OFTEC reg but will happily go to repair oil boilers. I did not think this was illegal. Am I wrong?

It seems slightly odd this fault and in that case one might assume its the control box.

However, before assuming this, you have you removed and cleaned the window on the photocell? There are some different types but most have a high resistance which falls when subjected to light.

At a guess Sheffield is at least 94 miles from Telford.

Tony

Sponsored Links
It is not illegal for you to repair oil boilers.

No problem Agile

You do not have to be OFTEC registered to work on oil fired appliances.

(wrong side of the country for me)

From what you say Hellfire it sounds like the photocell is upside down. The little square window on the photocell should face down towards the firebox and the flames. In that position I wouldn't expect you to be able to influence it by shining a light from the top.

Try rotating the photocell through 180 degrees and while you're at it make sure that the little window is clean as this can also cause a similar problem.

Hellfire - are you sure you've got oil to the boiler? no blocked filters haven't had problem since running out of oil etc...sounds like it could be oil starvation to me...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back