Redfyre Centrajet 18/25 Lock outs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Redfyre Centrajet 18/25 pressure jet boiler with a Selectos Burner which has started to suffer from intermittent lockouts.

It has been regularly maintained, it is in good condition and is serviced every year. The last service was in October 2017 during which a new nozzle was fitted together with a new flexible hose between the incoming oil line and the pump. The tank oil filter was checked and was clear. Efficiency was rated at 84%.

Oil feed to the boiler is by gravity, the tank is in good condition, there is no smell of oil in the garage where the boiler is sited and no signs of oil leaks.

Intermittent lockouts did not start until about 3 weeks after the October service and would occur every day or so. Sometimes twice a day.

I called the service engineer and he was unable to cause a lockout. He fitted a new motor capacitor and solenoid coil. Lockouts still occurred during the following week so the engineer was called again.

A new control box was fitted, the spark electrodes were checked and adjusted and the pump pressure was checked. Pressure was fine and was able to go as high as 200 psi. It was reset to 120 psi. The solenoid was taken out, appeared to be clear but was blown through and refitted. The photo cell was replaced.

After this second visit the boiler functioned without problem for the next 5 weeks but lockouts have started again.

The programmer is set to 2 heating/hot water periods per day and if a lockout occurs it seems most likely to be on the first start up cycle of a heating/hot water period after an overnight or mid day shut down.

I have observed that pre venting occurs but there is no ignition and a lock out follows. (Sorry but I cannot confirm if there was a spark or not during the start up cycle.) On pressing the reset button a couple of minutes after the lockout there is a normal start up sequence and things will be fine for the rest of that heating/hot water period or indeed for the next day or so.

I know that the boiler is old but I don't want to keep throwing parts and labour at the elusive problem in the hope that it cures it. Equally, as a pensioner, I cannot have an unreliable boiler but neither can I afford to replace it.

I apologise for a lengthy post but any help or observations would be welcomed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I had a D 42 with original motor giving random lockouts last year.
Fitted new cap and Drive coupling but still got intermittent stalls. Pump had no tight spots
A new motor cured it.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the responses.
On the last 2 occasions when the boiler went into lockout and I was in the vicinity the motor started, it went into pre vent cycle as normal but did not ignite. On both occasions it was the first 'firing' after a shut down period of some hours so everything was cold.
After reset, the boiler fired without issue but then went into lockout after the overnight shut down period.
In the last 24 hours there have been 2 shut down periods and the boiler has started fine on first firing and for the rest of the 'on' period - Go Figure !
I will however check the motor out.
Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
What oil pump is fitted? It could be 'draining down' during off times if it is old and there is wear on the helical gears, and the pre purge is insufficient to re-prime it.

Hi oilhead,
That did cross my mind.
The pump is a Danfoss BFP 21L3.
It was checked out by the service engineen on his second visit.
The pump feels smooth and output pressure would go as high as 200 psi when he checked it with a pressure gauge. The pressure is currently set to 120 psi as required for kerosene. The pump is gravity fed and the oil tank is half full.
As per my original post, the boiler functioned perfectly for 5 weeks and then I get 2 lockouts in 24 hours, the first on after about 4 hours of shutdown and the second one (the following morning) after about 10 hours of shutdown. This morning if fired up without problem.
I will try to monitor the first 'firing' after a shut down period over the coming days to make sure I have an ignition spark before the solenoid valve opens. If I have healthy spark and no ignition then it will be a oil supply issue.

Hi Terrywookfit,
As I've no means of analysing flue gasses I have to rely on the service engineer to sort that out.
I acknowledge that the 'newness' has worn off the boiler but prior to December it was as good as gold.
I'll just have to keep monitoring it and hope to establish some sort of pattern.
Other than the ignition transformer, spark electrodes, pump solenoid and the motor and coupling there's not much left to change and the motor does not seem a likely suspect as the last 2 lockouts were preceded by pre venting but no ignition.
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

You can observe the spark through the rear of burner.(Blue plastic cover).
Check spark is correct and not causing a false flame during purge.

Hi oilboffin,
Thanks for your comments.
When I have been within earshot of the boiler when it has gone into lockout the lockouts have been preceded by pre venting but no ignition so the flame is not being extinguished or failing but rather it is not being established.
Every time I have observed the burner at start up the boiler has fired up with a normal start up sequence - pre vent, spark, ignition, spark off so I cannot tell if the lock out is caused by no spark or no oil.
Today, start up after overnight shutdown was normal with no lockout.
I am trying to observe the boiler at first start up after the shut down periods as this seems to be when the lockouts occurs (if they occur) and if I am there when it locks out I can at least confirm if it a spark was present.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back