How to remove stubbon brake dust from wheels?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I recently bought a new car with baked on brake dust on the alloy wheels. Anyone know any handy tips for removing this?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20240203_172439.jpg
    20240203_172439.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20240203_172426.jpg
    20240203_172426.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
Brush on an acidic solution such as 'Wonder Wheels' or similar, then hose off, then repeat with a sponge and soapy water.
I prefer the wheels to be off the car for this though, these cleaners are aggressive.
John :)

Bilt Hamber Autowheels is the best wheel cleaner ive used but it did struggle with some really baked on stuff i tried it on.
Wonder Wheels acidic version is worth a try as suggested, not sure if halfords sell it these days.

Sponsored Links
You can buy a brush a bit like a loo brush, try that with hot water first, soak it then brush.

You can get acid cleaners.

IMO you will get the best results if you take the wheels off, and treat them one at a time. You can use a nylon scourer to remove persistent deposits. Rinse off straight away with plenty of water. Do the inner surface as well.

For the future, get EBC Redstuff brake pads. They do not leave this disfiguring deposit and you can keep your wheel clean with car shampoo

Thankyou for the replies. I have read mixed reviews about wonder wheels. Halford do it for 8quid so I shall give it a whirl. I also hear cif works and also cheap disinfectant with a nylon brush

C
Thankyou for the replies. I have read mixed reviews about wonder wheels. Halford do it for 8quid so I shall give it a whirl. I also hear cif works and also cheap disinfectant with a nylon brush
Cif is abrasive so will wear away the paint.

KKD Devils juice is a good acidic wheel cleaner, if that doesnt shift it nothing will and may require the use of a clay bar and some polish.

Ok managed to shift a fair amount of the brake dust. The wonder wheels wasn't much better than the CIF. The colour changing additive wonder wheels uses seems to be a bit of a gimmick. The thing that shifted most of it was a dishwasher pad and me scrubbing hard. All brushes and sponges seemed to be useless.

You may find that Autoglym's Magma solution dissolves the metallic substances trapped in the alloy.
Avoid any abrasives where possible as the dust deposits will stick even harder.
John :)

Bilt Hamber Korrosol is the best fall out remover I've ever used.

Sponsored Links
Back