How to remove tiles unbroken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove three 6x3" tiles from the top of a row.
Preferably unbroken.

I'm raising the tiling height above them and I can't just go on up as they are rolled edge so the grout won't stick or will look too thick.

I'm also concerned about loosening the nearby tiles.

I've cut out the grout around and between them.
They're standard ceramic, 1960s, on plaster.

What's the best way to have a chance?
Scraper and rubber mallet?
Is there a magic potion?

Sponsored Links
If you can get any water down behind the tiles you might wet the plaster enough to get the tiles off. Some tile adhesives will also soften with water. Use a thin blade behind the tiles and hope you get lucky. It isn't likely to be successful unfortunately, the tiles tend to snap without warning.

Google, a source of dodgy ideas sometimes, but here is this chap using a multitool to get behind the tiles. Albeit they are quite newly affixed. I could try that... and the water.
I'll let you know.

Sponsored Links
Those walls look like the (previous) tiler didn't bother to seal the plaster first....

DIY grout/adhesive will become soft when wet.

Proper cement based adhesives will not though- that said, I have seen numerous so called professional tilers that tile straight over plaster without using SBR or similar first. For the record- do not do that- bare plaster and cement adhesive over it can create etteringtite crystals

Think you may have to do away with them and use a trim on the top row instead of the rounded ones. Even if you do not break them getting them off you may do so trying to remove residue adheasive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back