How to repair a damaged waste pipe (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I had a water blockage in my kitchen sink on Easter and I got 2 different plumbers over for the rescue. While the 2nd one fixed the issue by tracing the issue to the communal pipe, he cut open the pipe in the process. He explained it's better to leave it open so I don't risk getting another blockage. Now I notice there's soiled water coming out and I hope it's just laundry water, but I really can't tell. What's your suggestion to cover up the open spot and yet easy to remove it in case the blockage resurfaces?

here's a video:

the water comes out to the landing outside of my bedroom, so I'm worried about the hygiene:

20240401-open soil pipe.jpg

20240401-soiled water drains outside my bedroom.jpg

I look forward to hearing from you and thanks so much

Best,
Patty

Sponsored Links
The simplest method would be to cut a small section of the same size pipe and slice it open, like a hinged bangle, and then use some solvent cement to glue it in place over the hole. The plumber should not have left it like that and you have every right to complain or reduce his payment in my opinion.
You could also do with the leadwork re-sealing over the parapet as that will no doubt be letting water in at some stage in the near future if not already.

Last edited:
Thanks so much, @DAZB. He did his best to help me that night, so I feel indebted to complain.
Yes, the 'roof top' is stuck with still water and it takes days to dry if there's heavy rain. My neighbour refuses to address the issue. Regarding the "leadwork re-sealing over the parapet", would you mind elaborating further? Do you mean to re-wrap the parapet with a new layer of lead?

Appreciate your advice.

Best,
Patty

That would fine if it was temp and then he was going to be coming back to complete the repair. If it's your pipe and it is blocked then I'd look at my insurance to see if they cover for instances like this.

That waste pipe cannot be left open like that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much, @DAZB. He did his best to help me that night, so I feel indebted to complain.
Yes, the 'roof top' is stuck with still water and it takes days to dry if there's heavy rain. My neighbour refuses to address the issue. Regarding the "leadwork re-sealing over the parapet", would you mind elaborating further? Do you mean to re-wrap the parapet with a new layer of lead?

Appreciate your advice.

Best,
Patty
The leadwork just needs the sealant redoing as it has split from the join with the wall and will leak.

Waste pipe needs to be unblocked properly. The damage can then be made good with a suitable method, possible the easiest solution would be to glue a patch over the hole or use a flexible waste coupling, split lengthways, wrapped around the pipe and secured with jubilee clips. Not very pretty but would do the job.

Thanks @Hugh Jaleak and @Madrab for letting me know the importance of fixing the open waste pipe. It's a communal pipe, so it belongs to the building. I'll look into the low-cost suggestion. Googling Jubilee clips etc!

Hi @DAZB, thanks.
"The leadwork just needs the sealant redoing as it has split from the join with the wall and will leak."

do you mean the part that I highlighted in the annotated image?

Thanks again everyone

Best,
Patty

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 21.40.15.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 21.40.15.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 15
Thanks @Hugh Jaleak and @Madrab for letting me know the importance of fixing the open waste pipe. It's a communal pipe, so it belongs to the building. I'll look into the low-cost suggestion. Googling Jubilee clips etc!

Hi @DAZB, thanks.
"The leadwork just needs the sealant redoing as it has split from the join with the wall and will leak."

do you mean the part that I highlighted in the annotated image?

Thanks again everyone

Best,
Patty
Yes and also the whole run of lead that joins the brickwork as it has all split away so water will run in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back