How to repair the black strip on top of the ground floor windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have attached pictures of the area I mean. There is a black strip on top of the ground floor windows which is worn very badly. Does this need replacing or should I paint it with Bitumen style paint?

Is this like a black felt band?

IMG_1002.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG IMG_1001.JPG IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1003.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1001.JPG
    IMG_1001.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
Either felt or lead, are the grey bits paint splashes or lead showing through the paint.
if lead you could clean it off and treat with patination oil.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Patination-Oil-For-New-Lead-125ml/p/240295

Or just paint with a special primer (lead is a greasy metal that's why the paint often flakes) and gloss topcoat.

If felt, bitumen paint (take care not to splash elsewhere) just a heads up, some heavy duty felts in DPC's and over windows do contain :evil: asbestos :evil: not considered a particularly dangerous material as the fibers are well bonded in but be a bit careful if edges are badly weathered.;)

Are you sure it isn't zinc?

What is it?

Sponsored Links
Its retro fitted lead flashing painted black - you can clearly see the render patching and making good from when the flashing and frames were installed.

Never paint lead or plastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back