How to replace a pendant with recessed LEDs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to replace a pendant light with recessed LEDs, but can't find a decent guide anywhere on the 'net. Can anyone point me to one, or outline the basic steps?

Assuming I want to move the pendant and replace with 4 LEDs, would the following be correct?:

1. Replace pendant ceiling rose with 4 way junction box (to include switch). Wire out to the first LED.
2. Wire into another 3 way junction box, wire out to the second LED
3. Repeat as appropriate

Am I missing anything?

If I need IP65 lighting for the bathroom, do the junction boxes need to be the same rating? I assume not if they are behind the ceiling plasterboard?

Sponsored Links
Yes, and no.

You don't need 4 junction boxes.

1. Junction box (if not in an accessible loft space, it must be maintenance free) 4-terminal
2. wire out to first fitting
3. wire from this fitting to the next and repeat.

You just use the connector on the light fitting instead of the 3 unnecessary JBs

This work may or may not be notifiable, see here

Sponsored Links
1. Yes, there is space in the supplied connectors for two twin and earth cables
2. You can use a wagobox, but as you have to buy the Wagos separately, it'll work out cheaper to get one of these

They are relatively recent. I can't remember exactly when required.
I realise that those JBs (or virtually any with built-in cable restraint) are relatively recent, but I was talking about the concept of restraint for cables entering JBs (previously usually provided external to the {fixed} JB). Did that requirement not pre-date the 17th ed.?

Kind Regards, John

Those junction boxes in the link were intended for downlighter wiring, probably before the 17th Edition.

Some goon has wrongly described them as 17th Edition maintenance free ones.

If you don't feel confident to replace light fittings, there are also plug in LED lamps, styled to look like traditional GLS lamps, that swap straight into the light socket, ideal for Rented Properties, where you can't just change the Landlords light fittings, but want the economic running cost of the LED lamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back