How to replace radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to replace a double convector 620mmx1200mm radiator with a single convector 600x1200 radiator. The radiator has a TRV at one end and a lockshield valve at the other. Can someone tell me

1. Where I can get detailed instructions as I've never replaced one before (like can I do it without draining the whole system first and how do I drain the water from double radiator before taking it off the wall?)

2. The old radiator was from Wickes, who don't a 620mm height radiator anymore, they're all 600 now. Most other places seem not to do a 620 anymore either. Can I keep old brackets and valves in place, or will I need to fit new/move the wall brackets and valves to support the new radiator

Sponsored Links
If you have fixed 15mm pipes you might have problems.
Unless there is some reason stick with a like for like radiator.

If the old radiator was connected with a bracket that was close to
the wall you may be ok if you use the bracket that places the single
radiator further away from the wall to match up with the pipes.

You will if you have thermostatic valve on one side more or less
certainly have to drain down as these valves rarely seal perfectly
so you can't stop the water running out of the system.

The modern radiators are only in 600 height you won't find any old size and the brackets will be different to fit the new radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back