How to restore C drive to original settings before recycling

nec

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

If I can I want to recycle an old computer to someone who has yet to get one - but I cannot find how to restore the settings to their original level and hopefully wipe the C drive clean.

It is using Windows 98 and I have a concern about the C drive containing personal information relating to members of this household.

If it cannot be done then I will have to let it go without the C drive and put that under the hammer.

:?: Anyone got the answer to hand please - thank you in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
When you delete personal files , their not actually gone from your PC you just render them overwritable! so their not actually gone they still exist on a disk sector untill you save files in thier place, and even then with a good filerecovery program they can be recovered! your best bet is to format the hard drive and re-install Windows 98. there is no "back to factory" function in 98 as far as im aware.

insert original windows 98 install disk, select clean install, select format drive before installing. Job Done.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

As mentioned above, boot from the windows 98 disk and then type the following at a DOS Prompt:

format c: /u

That will do an unconditional format which does not leave undelete data.

That would make it blank beyond where most people could get anything from it.

If you want to go further you can low level format the drive, more info here:

http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/low-level-format.html

Jon.

Back