how to run guttering (or not!!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I recently had a roofer friend replace a piece of damaged guttering above my front doot,job done. About 2 months later my semi-detached neighbour decided to have all his guttering replaced. The company that replaced it have changed the way the water runs (which my neighbour didn't ask for)so the highest point is now at the join above our front doors running away. This is fine for my neighbour as his has all been replaced and ran to suit but on my side now the water runs to a stop above my front door again and the water pours out. The company came back out and told me this is how it should be done, and that all my drainage was running next door which is wrong. He told my wife he will send us a quote to replace ours now!!! Is this the correct way? It looks wrong having the highest points in the centre of our building runing away both sides. The houses are around 100 years old and the system used previously seemed to work absolutley fine so why change now.

Sponsored Links
Why can't your roofer-friend give you the info ' on this ?

Anyway, I don't believe they have any right to change/upset your rainwater-collection because of work they have done next door

Thanks for the friendly reply. He is in Australia just now backpacking so kind of difficult to get in touch with him. Any other questions about him??

Kev

Thanks for the friendly reply. He is in Australia just now backpacking so kind of difficult to get in touch with him. Any other questions about him??

Kev

No doubt replacing guttering and roofs in Brisbane. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Do you have a rainwater outlet on your side?
If you do the highest point of the guttering will be at the centre of the building.

Any other questions about him??

Yes. Did he pack his wellies?

As for the guttering, well it really should go back to the same line as the previous one was unless the previous one was not working properly. It should also be fitted so as to allow the water to run towards the nearest downpipe.

The thing with gutters, and the biggest mistake people make, is that the gutter needs hardly any fall, and on a normal semi, it should be hard to see the slope of the gutter.

I can't see a solution to your problem if the gutter is working. Some semis have the gutter sloping away from the centre with downpipes at the corners, some have it sloping towards the centre with a single downpipe

The company is wrong to say that your water should not drain to next doors gutter and so they have took it upon themselves to change it, but I can't see that much can be done about the gutter line being changed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back