how to slope postcrete away from posts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
over the weekend I fitted a few fence posts using hardcore/postcrete from wickes. I understand that you need to slope the concrete upwards to wards the post to allow the water to drain away from it, but the problem I had was that becuase the postcrete is poured into the hole full of water, it kind of self levelled and I couldn't really get it to slope upwards?

What should I use that would be a bit thicker and would allow me to shape it as required? Also, would I be able to bond new concrete to the concrete already dried in the post hole by spraying it with water before I apply it?

cheers

Sponsored Links
The quickest and easiest way would be to buy a bag of ready mixed mortar. Add just enough water to make the powder stick together then shape it around your post. If its not too wet it will stay in place till it sets. Don't worry too much about it bonding with the other cement, it probably will.
Remember, water doesn't make cement/mortar mix go solid, it's a chemical reaction.

er dont bother. It makes no difference. its where the post is in contact with the ground around that causes the rot, not the water that runs down it when it rains

cheers seedling.

Thermo - surely if rain water is settling at the base of the post this will promote rot; this is under the assumption that the rot begins at ground level where it emerges from the concrete?

I was told that this is where it rots, the part in the ground should be air tight shouldn't it?

Sponsored Links
The rot is at its worst where the wood has both water and air available - so it is usually where the post emerges from the ground, just above and just below ground level.

The concrete in contact with the ground will be damp and provide the moisture for rot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back