How to strip paint of cornice or repair it?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 'castleated' cornice with very thick layers of paint on. Some of this has come away from the original plaster 'flaked'. I started to pull this off and have used paintstripper on the parts which have not come off due to old age. The ony problem with this is when scapping the paintstripper and therefore the paint off it is taking the plaster underneath with it? I also tried a wire brush and sand paper but the problem with this is the plaster is softer than the paint!

Any ideas on an easier process to remove it or failing this a way to repair the gauging in the cornice?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you're not softening the paint enough. Sometimes its best to apply the stripper 4 - 5 times before going at it with the scraper. You dont have to be so heavy handed then. Patience on jobs like this saves time repairing later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back