how to support posts off the ground, help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to fix some oak posts in the garden that are not long enough to go in the ground and I don't want in the ground anyway. They are 6"x6" posts and I have seen brackets in USA and France that do this and keep the post off the ground by an inch or two. The tops will be attached to a sort of large overhand from a shed.

Usually these brackets fix onto or into concrete and then they are bolted to the post keeping it from touching the ground and ever rotting by being an inch or so clear of the ground.

I cannot seem to find them available in the UK and do not want to cement my posts in, so any ideas where I can get these or what else I can do, they need to be strong as we may later hang a hammock from them etc?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Will one of these do, fixed upside down.
P9012.gif

Have a look at a unistrut catalogue, for other options.

Also unistrut is extremely rust resistant and is very very strong.

You mean this sort of thing?
Post base

Although the bracket is meant to be concreted in, you could if wanted, simply bolt down thru centre hole, or slide over some threaded studding stuck into ground and then secured with washer and nut.

Either way would succeed in keeping the post away from ground.

Sponsored Links
I think the OP may be refering to a different type of bracket, its like a U bracket that the post is fized into, with a vertical bar below that is concreted into the gorund - you see them used on the american fix it shows a lot - keeps the wood out of contact with the ground

haven't a clue where they can be bought though :confused:

I think the OP may be refering to a different type of bracket, its like a U bracket that the post is fized into, with a vertical bar below that is concreted into the gorund - you see them used on the american fix it shows a lot - keeps the wood out of contact with the ground

haven't a clue where they can be bought though :confused:

yep i know the thing you mean. often seen on holmes on homes. Havent seen them over here either!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back