How to survive an apocalypse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was watching 2012 last night ( not a bad film BTW ) and it got me thinking about the end of the world, and more specifically what would be the best course of action..

if there was plenty of time ( or just build them on spec anyway.. ) then the "uber ark" that they made in the film would be a good idea, but you'd have to think about it from a purely survival point of view..

you'd only need beds for 1/2 of the ship population as there would have to be shift work to keep the thing running 24/7, so you'd share a cabin with another person and rotate out..

in the movies they alwayssave the "great works of art" and so on.. do you really think that you'd be bothered if they saved the mona lisa?

they also save a couple of each animal ( like the original ark.. ) why bother?
yes we need to keep the food chain going but surely it's better to take more cows and pigs etc on board rather than save a couple of rhino's or giraffes? what good are they in re-building civilisation?

now, down to people..
while a lottery type affair might seem like the fair way of doing it, I don't think that is exactly practical..
criminals would have to be exempt etc, but you'd really need to pick people based on expertese..
you need doctors, scientists, builders, mechanics, farmers and so on.. people with usefull skills..

Sponsored Links
It's all pointless. We're doomed, Captain Mannering... doomed!

Can anyone remember that cult film which had the last of the earth's forests in huge domes attached to a spacecraft. Also had Huwey and Dewy as robots? :confused:

Sponsored Links
ive given surviving the apocalypse way too much thought as well.

ive come to the conclusion you would need to be a complete and utter selfish murdering bastard but also a good farmer, gardener, and general DIY person.

now, down to people..
while a lottery type affair might seem like the fair way of doing it, I don't think that is exactly practical..
criminals would have to be exempt etc...
Ah but that would be an infringement of their human rights! :rolleyes: I say take them... use em for fuel! :evil:

easy. unscrew all your internal doors and lean them against a wall at a 45 degree angle. cover with cushions. put some food inside and store some water. stay in there for 2 weeks and youll be ok. thats what we were supposed to do in a nuclear blast!

Slent Running............ good grief that brings back memories :( :)

Must agree, 2012 is a good film, from a take-your-sceptical-brain-out-and-enjoy-it, theme. I do think though, as in the film, we 'ordinary' people wouldn't know anything about the disaster until it was too late.

There was a recent TV series 'survivors', a remake of a 1970's series, based on a book.

It examines the scenario where 99% of the worlds population is exterminated by a virus, and what happens here in the UK, where theres only a couple of thousand of us left.

Basically, you would have to revert to a medieval market garden barter economy, although one of the most valuable resources would be petrol, diesel and coal, for vehicles and warmth.

You would be able to plunder the shops and supermarkets for about three years, but eventually, such stores would be commandeered by power groups as local warlords set up there little empires. The breathing space of two or three years would have to be used to wisely, in that period you woudl need to find a base, where you can set u pa self sufficient farm, that is easily defended against attack.

You woudl need to learn all the old skills and knowledge. For example, how to make candles, and soap. You woudl have electricity for a while, because the hydroelectric power stations would keep producing, but eventually, without maintenance, they would fail, so ideally yo uwant a stream or river where you base yourself, so you can catch fish and use water power.

Theres a million little things we, in the 21st century, have forgotten how to do. It would pay to take an artic lorry to the local library and raid every book on farming, first aid, etc, just every skill you would need to make or mend anything. As much knowledge as you can load up and take.

You would also need to accept that you may need to kill to survive, if you are attacked. I thin its a really interesting subject. Also, young girls woudl be very valued to produce more humans, so i suspect we would revert to the same practices as medieval times, and start marrying off 12 year old girls. We would need to start producing new humans as fast as possible, and there some taboos in our society that would have to go out the window if we wanted to ensure the continued existence of our species.

easy. unscrew all your internal doors and lean them against a wall at a 45 degree angle. cover with cushions. put some food inside and store some water. stay in there for 2 weeks and youll be ok. thats what we were supposed to do in a nuclear blast!

Rubbish man.

In the event of an impending nuclear blast there are specific thing that you must do.

You should remove spectacles, loose change and pens from all pockets. You should then lean forward and place your head between your legs and...

Kiss-Your-Ass-Goodbye--51770.jpg

Rubbish man.

In the event of an impending nuclear blast there are specific thing that you must do.

You should remove spectacles, loose change and pens from all pockets. You should then lean forward and place your head between your legs and...

Kiss-Your-Ass-Goodbye--51770.jpg

oh and i forgot, if your grandmother or any other member of your family dies, place them outside the shelter, but dont forget to tag them for identification later

Those who can do, those who can't teach.

Those who cant teach, administrate. And the rest become MP's.

WAR UUUUUUGH WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING SAY IT AGAIN.

Sponsored Links
Back