how to swap 2 way switches to elkay

I'm suggesting a manual switch for the downstairs light.

I was assuming it was for the elderly.

If its for kids you would have been better fitting led lights. They use so little it doesn't matter if they get left on.

Sponsored Links
If, of course, the indicator light 'indicates' nothing functionally (but is merely a way of locating the button in the dark - being always lit unless the button is pressed), then what you suggest would work.
Pretty sure it's just a locator.

If, of course, the indicator light 'indicates' nothing functionally (but is merely a way of locating the button in the dark - being always lit unless the button is pressed), then what you suggest would work.

so, to clarify. my thoughts on the wiring are correct. would i be ok to connect the com on the double gang hall button to with the com of the upstair light and the L2 hall light with the L1 of the stair light. so that the hall light and upstairs light activate at the same time.

It sounds as if, yes, it's a locator, but...
4. At one minute prior to the end of the timing sequence, the red LED will begin to flash continuously for the last minute of operation. The blue locator ring will then illuminate once the light source or appliance has gone off.
... if I understand that correctly, it sounds as if the locator (at least on the master, so perhaps/probably also the slave) only lights up when the controlled light (or whatever) is 'off'. If that is the case, it would make make some functional sense, but would not be at all straightforward to implement (at the slave switch) over two wires. However, maybe the slave 'indicator ring' does not work like that.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I don't think so. But I'm afraid the lateness of the hour plus the psychoactive substances equals not being able to explain it properly.

I think what's wrong is that basically you can't do what you want - you have the switched live to the downstairs light coming from the downstairs switch, and the one for the upstairs light is from the upstairs switch. To combine them you need them both at the same switch.

4. At one minute prior to the end of the timing sequence, the red LED will begin to flash continuously for the last minute of operation. The blue locator ring will then illuminate once the light source or appliance has gone off.
[DOH!] RTFM [/DOH!]
The instructions are pretty poorly written and, as I said, it's not totally clear whether that above statement applies to slaves as well as the master. The S/L connection between master and slave in their diagram is labelled:
*Optional wire for blue indicator ring on push button slaves only
However, I find this a bit ambiguous. Does it mean that this S/L connection is required (for indicator ring) only on push-button slaves, OR does it mean that is is only "optional" in the case of push-button slaves?

Furthermore, the OP has indicated that he has touch, rather than push-button, switches. If that applies to his slave as well as master (are they actually the same thing, I wonder?), I'm not sure what that would mean in terms of attempted interpretation of the above statement about the optional SL for push-button slaves!

Given the point you raised, I'm also a little surprised that the instructions do not include a statement than an earth is not required, or even that an earth should not be connected (albeit, how?!) to the switch.

All-in-all, IMO not the world's best instructions!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back