How to take a tap apart to reseat it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we're trying to fix a leaky tap, but the trouble is we can only take it apart so far then we're stumped, the pictures show you the stage we can get it apart to.

We've tried rotating the round sheath, but it won't budge.

Thanks for any help

Matt

Sponsored Links
Soak it in descaler or vinegar for a while and grip it with a rubber glove.

Soak the shrouds in wd40 or vinegar as suggested. Wrap cardboard around the shrouds then remove with a pair of mole grips. Once the shrouds are off, undo the valves via the nut, again soaked in wd40 if necessary.

Sponsored Links
As others have said.

Use grips or mole grips etc but do not apply grips
at the bottom of the shroud.

Grip as close to the top as you can, this way the
threads are a lot less likely bind.

Thanks for your suggestions :), I will give them a go, but a professional had a look, then after some research came back to us and said it can't be taken apart. So it might be a new mixer after all!

It can easily be taken apart, the only question is whether you can do it without damaging the shrouds.
I would try a bit of toweling round them and gently with a small pair of stillsons, after much warning to the customer that I wouldn't be responsible for the outcome if they marked.

stick elastplast strapping to the shrouds before using your grips or plumbers pliers. It will cushion against scratching and also give you something to twist.

What I'm thinking might be a better idea to help prevent the scratching is wrap elastic band/s around it.
Cover it with a cloth to hold the heat close to the cover
Then pour boiling water over it
Remove the cloth then a pair of waterpump pliers should get it off.

Looiking at the amount of missing chrome-plate/bare brass on the top of the shroud......new tap.

You can't polish a turd.

Managed to get it off, granddad used WD40 and brute force. Was all corroded on the inside, grandma gave it a clean with some stainless cleaner, should come off easier next time.

Thanks for your advice guys :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back