How to tell if a pipe carries water (without cutting)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just discovered an ancient lead pipe that snakes in and out of an upstairs wall. For an old bathroom, I suspect. I'm 90% sure it's dry. I can't see how it could still be connected up to anything, but I'd really like to be sure before trying to get rid of it. Any surefire method please? Or should I just call someone who know what they're doing? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hold your ear to it, give it a dunt with a hammer, if you can hear the note 'A Sharp' or 'A Flat'. Then it deffo has water in it.
HTH

Get the wife to cut it while holding onto the electric fire, if there's water in it you cop all the insurance money & can get yourself a new bird.....Sorted!!!

Sponsored Links
Can't quite tell if you're winding me up ... Of course you're not! But for you pleasure you can now picture me trotting all round my house tapping the pipes for comparison. And: this one lead pipe sounds different to all the copper pipes, but they don't sound very similar either. I think I'll have a floorboard up to see if enlightenment lies there.

Dont get it mixed up with gas though, because that has an all togeather differant sound to the water pipes however is quite similar to a pipe with nothing in, GOOD LUCK :LOL:

For Gawd sake don't do what Paddy did;
He fell in the sink while tap dancing!!

Can't quite tell if you're winding me up............... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Never laughed so much since the wife died.

Problem solved, you'll be delighted to hear. Nearby floorboard up, I can feel the end of the pipe is unattached so I can set about it with abandon. (OLLIE20: I do wish it had occurred to me that it might be a gas pipe. I nearly had at it with a saw, thinking I'd hold me finger over it if there was a leak...)

:LOL: :LOL:

what were you going to do then? hold your finger over it until a larger dutchman happened by to drain the pipework?

i hope this isn't a wind up thread. :LOL:

I think I was going to yell out as if the leak had come out of nowhere and Thank God me and me finger happened by at the right moment, and the wife could phone a plumber and get me a beer for the wait. Maybe I'd tell her where to turn off the water if the beer ran out.

I think I was going to yell out as if the leak had come out of nowhere and Thank God me and me finger happened by at the right moment, and the wife could phone a plumber and get me a beer for the wait. Maybe I'd tell her where to turn off the water if the beer ran out.

class.:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back