How to Tell if a Wall in my House is Load Bearing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l want to take down a wall between my toilet and bathroom to make one big room but sure if it is load bearing.
Can someone give me some advice and what to look for to check if it's ok to take down.
l live in a 3 bed house and the toilet/bathroom wall is upstairs with only the attic/roof above....

Sponsored Links
drill a small hole in the WC ceiling next to the wall @ a measured distance along it - push knitting needle ( or similar) through into loft - go in loft and locate through insulation - hopefully sticking out :idea: Work out how wall runs from that point

also the other direction, is the wall supported from beneath itself?

Sponsored Links
Is there a continuation of a wall above it in the loft space? Are there joists that the wall supports? If joists span the wall in question, do they continue to the external walls and are supported by it and/or joist hangers, or do the joists stop at the wall you want to knock down? Its fairly obvious when you get in the loft whether or not it is supporting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back