How to test a freezer capacator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Frigidaire Commercial Upright 11.6 cubic ft SN ND40LBCM Model FFU12K0CW1 freezer that got flooded and now only tries to start. We were told that it could just be the capacitor. How do we test the capacitor and if it tests defective, where could we order a replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Sponsored Links
I had one fail in a fridge when it got wet, from the self-defrost vessel running over. Easiest way is to test by substitution, just put a new one on, not very expensive. Isolate from mains first, of course. Most medium sized towns have a retailer of appliance spares who will stock or get you one. They mostly sell hoover belts and coffee-maker jugs but have links to all the big makers. If they can't identify it by the model, take the old capacitor in. A non-branded one wil probably be cheaper. You could perhaps also try an electronics stockholder like Maplins or Rapid, but you will have to give them the identification from the old one.

I presume you can identify the capacitor, a cylindical thing probably as fat as your thumb attached to the motor, with at least one wire having a detachable tag and probably a metal "belt" round the body held by a small bolt.

Sponsored Links
I would check the motor windings first as there is a start winding and a run winding. Pull the relay off the three pins on the compressor, and with a multimeter check the resistance between the three pins. The pins are in a triangle shape, the top pin is the common and the left or right is the start winding pin. check that you have a resistance between the common and start winding and also between common and run winding.

If the windings are OK the compressor could have seized. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back