how to tighten waste/basin mate ...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am trying to fit a basin mate but am having a bit of trouble tightening the waste outlet. the plug hole spins a bit, i cannot get it 100% tight. i have inserted the polystyrene type washer on the inside and the thick washer and plastic nut on the underside, followed by a normal back nut (which came with the waste outlet). i have not used to silicone or mait as advised. but i cannot tighten it, i am using waterpumps. any tips how to get it tight enough?

Sponsored Links
you dont need to kill it !

pumps plyers and smetimes a couple of screwdrivers in top of the waste to hold in still helps

it is a plastric waste outlet by the way, quite a cheap one! i have the basin mate thick washer, the small casing nut that comes with it, and the original plastic black backnut that came with the waste outlet.

i know i don't need to ovrtighten it, but i have never seen an outlet that you can turn by hand from the inside before!! and it turns which i don't like... maybe this could be as i haven't put the trap/waste pipe on yet??
one last hing - it is a slotted basin and i obviously want the holes in the waste outlet to line up with the channel holes in the basin - when i tighten the backnut it turns and i might be losing the match ... any tips for this?

Sponsored Links
try removing the polystyrene washer between the basin and waste and smear a thin clear silicone round the lip then put in basin hole and tighten.

you dont need to kill it !

pumps plyers and smetimes a couple of screwdrivers in top of the waste to hold in still helps
it is a plastric waste outlet by the way, quite a cheap one!
JPC is right but don't put a screw driver down the waste to try and lock it in place if its a Plastic Waste, the force of tightening could rip it to bits.
ok thanks i shall try hat. any type of silicone i should buy?
Make sure you use a decent brand with 'Anti Mould' such as Unibond Shower & Bathroom. You'll pay more but you'll be glad you did.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back