How to turn a cellar into a useful room ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an old house with a cellar leading down from the kitchen which I'd like to make more use of than just storage. The problem is that I lease the property and whilst I am happy to invest a certain amount, I won't be doing a conversion to the standard I would were I the owner.

At present, there is a concrete floor, though I suspect not a DPC. The walls are stone with some brickwork but I do not know the full specification. The ceiling is also quite low, perhaps around 1.9m to 2.0m. There does not appear to be any real damp though I guess it is affected by being underground and so forth. There is no water at any time of year. There is ventilation.

In simple language, my thoughts were to get some sort of "plastic" (research needed here) sheeting to keep out damp and put this over walls, floor and ceiling. Then insulate (with what ?), put up batons and then cover with ???. I don't really want the expense of plastering and it is not a skill I have. Painting and so forth are fine.

Underlay and carpet etc.

Obviously all permissions obtained but how realistic is this as tanking is not an option.

Sponsored Links
lots of lights and some plants

great tasting toms all year round

If you dont tank the walls and floor properly anything you put in there (carpet etc) will get damp.. It could be a hazzardous space if done incorrectly.. Building regs aren't there to make your life difficult they are there to minimise heath risks and dangerous building practices..
Do the conversion properly or not at all..

Sponsored Links
If you intend spending any decent amount of time down there then do as Static says and do it proper.

Subterranean spaces are generally inhospitable and require a high specification of works to bring them up to scratch.

Do it cheaply and be prepared to be disappointed.

However, if you are just popping down there, once in a while to do a bit of grunting with a home gym for instance, then crack-on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back