how to use hinge cutter TCT with a drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,
I am trying to hang couple of doors, and came across this “hinge cutter TCT” from screwfix. I believe you can use it with a drill without the need to a router and can give you a clean cut, better then the chisel. Can some one tell me how it can be used with the dril

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it is a router cutter to use with a hinge jig. You can't use them in a drill... Just buy a cheap router.

John...

They described it as no need for a router, but can not find instructions on hoe to use it with a drill. I normally use wood chisel, but never managed a clean cut. I thought I will give this one a try.

Sponsored Links
if you don't want to use a chisel get a cheap router (Trend T4) £70ish and you can buy a little jig that Trend make for 3" or 4" hinges which are about £35.

john....

As your replies have already confirmed the cutter you have got is for kitchen cabinet hinges but I do not think it is worth buying a router, router jig, and router cutter to fit hinges for just two doors.
I am in the trade and have routers and jigs these days, but still use hand tools for a one off, so as you only have two doors, I would do it by hand. And to be honest, if you are not skilled in using a router you could seriously ruin the door in the blink of the eye, if you slip with a chisel, you will just have a messy job, but a door still fit for the purpose.
You will need a chisel (a really sharp chisel, and ideally at least 25mm in width), a marking gauge, a knife, and hammer and as a DIY’er you probably have these tools.

I have searched youtube to find a good video tutorial to show you how to chop in butt hinges, but cannot find a good one, but the two links below should help.
The first link is ok with regard to marking out for the hinge recess but I really do not agree with the method the guy uses to chisel away the timber, he is far too aggressive and if you go at it as he does you are likely to split the side of the door out.
The second link is demonstrating a three edge chisel (you don’t need one of them, a standard bevel edge chisel is fine) and so does not show the marking out process, but he does demonstrate a craftsman’s method, and so the correct way of removing the waste wood with a chisel, this is the way I was taught during my apprenticeship decades ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOx1-t_Sie8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlcfB4_-vGo

Steve.

As your replies have already confirmed the cutter you have got is for kitchen cabinet hinges but I do not think it is worth buying a router, router jig, and router cutter to fit hinges for just two doors.
I am in the trade and have routers and jigs these days, but still use hand tools for a one off, so as you only have two doors, I would do it by hand. And to be honest, if you are not skilled in using a router you could seriously ruin the door in the blink of the eye, if you slip with a chisel, you will just have a messy job, but a door still fit for the purpose.
You will need a chisel (a really sharp chisel, and ideally at least 25mm in width), a marking gauge, a knife, and hammer and as a DIY’er you probably have these tools.

I have searched youtube to find a good video tutorial to show you how to chop in butt hinges, but cannot find a good one, but the two links below should help.
The first link is ok with regard to marking out for the hinge recess but I really do not agree with the method the guy uses to chisel away the timber, he is far too aggressive and if you go at it as he does you are likely to split the side of the door out.
The second link is demonstrating a three edge chisel (you don’t need one of them, a standard bevel edge chisel is fine) and so does not show the marking out process, but he does demonstrate a craftsman’s method, and so the correct way of removing the waste wood with a chisel, this is the way I was taught during my apprenticeship decades ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOx1-t_Sie8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlcfB4_-vGo

Steve.

He Quoted " I normally use a chisel" so i thought he must fit doors regularly
:) but for just 2 doors i agree use a chisel

John....

He Quoted " I normally use a chisel" so i thought he must fit doors regularly
:) but for just 2 doors i agree use a chisel

John....[/quote]

Yeah, but if he does not know what the “hinge cutter TCT” from screwfix was for, I thought he may need some help. :)

Dear All,
I am trying to hang couple of doors, and came across this “hinge cutter TCT” from screwfix. I believe you can use it with a drill without the need to a router and can give you a clean cut, better then the chisel. Can some one tell me how it can be used with the dril
First question should be what type of door? kitchen doors use the cutter mentioned, no use for anything else.
For household doors then a small plane like this is useful
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/180535154365?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

as it make routing shallow slots for hinges etc easy.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
As Steve said, you must have a very sharp chisel. I suspect that the OPs is dull if it will not cut clean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back