How to wire Smeg gas cooker with electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Smeg gas range cooker (oven electric)come with 13amp plug is this ok to use or does it need to go into cooker outlet thanks for your help

Attachments

• D1D5E67E-5E3E-4E29-B741-994F27306EA6.jpeg
    D1D5E67E-5E3E-4E29-B741-994F27306EA6.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 265
Sponsored Links
From the manufacturers website for your model, the total draw is over 16,000 watts, in practice you would not be using all of the features at the same time..

Probably better to use the existing cooker feed (likely 6mm2 cable but 4mm2 would seem to suffice) if it's available. It also means if the breaker trips you still have the kitchen sockets available for use

This chap has a useful explanation of the issues, and the principle of diversity:

Cooker Circuits Diversity, 15kW load, 32A circuit breaker. - YouTube

Blup

Something I never understood.
Why do manufacturers install a 13A plug when it's not adequate for the appliance?

From the manufacturers website for your model, the total draw is over 16,000 watts, in practice you would not be using all of the features at the same time..

Probably better to use the existing cooker feed (likely 6mm2 cable but 4mm2 would seem to suffice) if it's available. It also means if the breaker trips you still have the kitchen sockets available for use

This chap has a useful explanation of the issues, and the principle of diversity:

Cooker Circuits Diversity, 15kW load, 32A circuit breaker. - YouTube

Blup

Sponsored Links
I was hoping it would be ok when I seen the plug, as I’m having cooker in a island 3.5meters away from the cooker outlet on the other wall will it be ok to blank off take feed and extend to the island the wire is 6mm already thanks

I was hoping it would be ok when I seen the plug, as I’m having cooker in a island 3.5meters away from the cooker outlet on the other wall will it be ok to blank off take feed and extend to the island the wire is 6mm already thanks
Not an electrician but I'm pretty sure you can't plug it into an extension, unless hardwired

I was hoping it would be ok when I seen the plug as I’m having this in a island and the cooker outlet is on the other wall will it be ok to blank off take feed and extend to the island thanks
Not an electrician but I'm pretty sure you can't plug it into an extension, unless hardwired
yes it will be hard wired

I was hoping it would be ok when I seen the plug as I’m having this in a island and the cooker outlet is on the other wall will it be ok to blank off take feed and extend to the island thanks

yes it will be hard wired to a cooker switch on island with the 6mm from existing cooker switch

From the manufacturers website for your model, the total draw is over 16,000 watts

Blup

The OP has the dual-fuel model with gas hob and electric oven, so I don't think that can be the electrical load.

I've had dual-fuel cookers which only need a 13A plug.

Something I never understood.
Why do manufacturers install a 13A plug when it's not adequate for the appliance?

Apparently these ovens are made for the European market where the fuse rating on a plug is higher. More recent ovens have been adapted to the UK market and 13A plugs, so it should in theory be fit for purpose.

Blup

The OP has the dual-fuel model with gas hob and electric oven, so I don't think that can be the electrical load.

I've had dual-fuel cookers which only need a 13A plug
Could be. How many electric ovens does it have? Can you post a pic?
yer I read somewhere that the number is a combination of both and just the oven is 8.4kw? Not sure tho it has two ovens and a grill

B42A67CF-1C16-4FE4-81B8-CE5D031417B9.png

Attachments

• A1B88D7E-AD98-4DB2-ABE8-950FEBA7AAD9.png
    A1B88D7E-AD98-4DB2-ABE8-950FEBA7AAD9.png
    695.9 KB · Views: 172

Can't see a problem with that

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back