How to wire up my storage heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please can someone help!

I have moved my storage heater from my bedroom to my living room and did not make a note of the wiring and now I cannot remember how to wire it back up.

the wire connected to the storage heater has a brown, blue and green & yellow wires, and the wires from the wall is red, black and green.

can someone please tell me where these go in the stocket? the socket has a N, L (load) and L (in) points.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Brown L load
Red L in
Blue & Black N
Green/Yellow & Green to Earth connection

I suppose where you are going to connect the storage heater is on the Economy 7 circuit.

You should only connect through a switched fused connector installed on the economy seven circuit, unless you want an astronomical leccy bill.

Sponsored Links
As well as the electrics you need to be careful about how it is fitted to the wall taking into account any movement / vibration that may occur in the wall. A stud wall can move enough that the fixing screws work loose over time leaving the heater balancing on its feet and it could then be pulled over by a child hanging onto it.

Assuming the storage heater is on its own 16A or 20A fuse/MCB (which it should be) I'd prefer a 20A DP switch rather than a 13A FCU.

Larger storage heaters can be close to the max for 13A and are a sustained load over several hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back