How would you best describe this wall ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am preparing a party wall agreement for a proposed rear extension, so part of the documents that i am also putting together is a schedule of condition. I can see that my neighbour has a conservatory which is adjacent to my wall, both appear to be fence brick work ((I dont know the correct technical term).

Here is what I have written so far, i do not know if anyone has any recommendations or better way to describe the condition. I have also taken photographs.

Item

Exterior rear party wall

Description

Party wall is of brick construction, and serves as a fence wall as well. The brick work is double sided with the adjacent brick work for my property sandwiched together. The fence wall at neighbour's property is considerably higher than the brickwork at my property

Condition

The condition of the wall is not so good; the bricks have been exposed to the elements and have started to show signs of blowing up from the side elevation. This has led to flakes on the brickwork, and would continue to get worse especially during the cold weather.

The foundation of the fence does not show any signs of dampness.

The proposal is to remove the fence brickwork for my property, and then render the party wall which belongs to neighbors property, this proposal will make good the existing condition of the wall, and prolong its life. The proposal will also ensure that the wall does not suffer damp issues because of water ingress through the existing brickwork where it is currently exposed to the elements.

Is there anything that that needs to be added or any other item.

Attachments

• IMG_2712.jpg
    IMG_2712.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2683.jpg
    IMG_2683.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2696.jpg
    IMG_2696.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 166
Sponsored Links
Why are you preparing the schedule?

If you are the building owner, you can't prepare an award. You serve notice, if the neighbour agrees, then that's it. If he disagrees then you appoint independent surveyor(s) to prepare the award.

Firstly I'd say the number one thing is to make sure the neighbour is clear exactly what you are planning and agrees in principle. Is this the case?
After that, it does make sense to put things in writing just to make sure everything is clear even after the passage of time.
As woody says, the formal process is narrower than what you've embarked on, but nothing prevents you from having less formal discussions to avoid the expense.
My view would be the photos are the most important bit. You should probably describe your property as the building owner and their as the adjoining owner, because otherwise they might be signing something saying "my neighbour" referring to themselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back