How wrong is this outside wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a new house and found that the brick shed/outhouse has power going into it. However the cable isnt buried in the ground but instead comes out of the cupboard under the stairs where the CU is, heads outside, along the wall to the corner, then up the wall about 4ft (the ground floor is approx 5ft higher than the garden) goes through the air to a post fixed to the shed and then down this post and into the shed.

As far as I am aware the external wiring should be buried 18" deep but i dont know what the rules are regarding power cable spanning gaps between buildings.

Sponsored Links
Catenary in an area that doesn't have vehicle access only needs to be clear of head height (think the rule is 2.5m but can't be bothered to check-someone here will pull me up if wrong :eek: )

The cable should be rated as catenary (with a support wire built in) or it should be external quality (rubber sheathed flex, artic flex, hi tuf etc) and attached to a catenary wire as support.

Thanks for that Chri5.

It's just supported by its connection at either end so its not been done properly even though the span is only 1m.

Thanks for your help!

Cables can be fixed to solid/rigid structures and depending on cable type overhead cables where no vehicle traffic no less than 3.5m to be safe.

Sponsored Links
A picture of the cable and where it runs overhead would be useful for us to determine whether it's 'right' or not. Also a picture of your consumer unit etc would probably be useful...

I dont have an image of the outside cable at the moment but i'll post one up as soon as i can.

managed to get this out of one of my images if you fancy a giggle. Sockets in the kitchen area spread over 4 different circuits (3,4,7,8 ).

I think my spark is going to have fun.

That's the least of your worries :eek:

15A fuse for a Ring, Shower and tumble dryer sharing a circuit, Immersion not on a dedicated circuit...and they're the only ones I can read.

Looks like a complete re-wire is due.

That's the least of your worries :eek:

15A fuse for a Ring, Shower and tumble dryer sharing a circuit, Immersion not on a dedicated circuit...and they're the only ones I can read.

Looks like a complete re-wire is due.

I'm just hoping the ring is on 2.5mm and not 1.5mm, at least then that can be extended to inorporate other stray sockets. I was going to get a new radial run for the shower and get it off the same circuit as the tumble anyway but you are reading my mind about the rewire.

I wonder if theres a CU with an RCD in the shed?

Not been able to see inside as yet, its near the top of my to do list for friday when i can get proper access.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back